1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Ergodyne 5 String EDA905

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DoobieDoober, Jun 14, 2014.

1. DoobieDoober

DoobieDoober

Nov 19, 2013
    Anyone know about the Ibanez Ergodyne series, EDA905 model? Any information would be greatly appreciated as well as what a good price would be for a used one.

2. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Neat basses. I owned one for about 10 minutes before Fed Ex came and picked it up for a shipping claim.
    It's a very ergonomic somewhat lightweight design built off a synthetic material calmed Luthite.
    They have a single humbucker pickup in about the middle position and piezoelectric pickups in their bridge saddles.
    I also know they are rather fragile and rather difficult to repair.
    My wife purchased one for me as a gift. Fed Ex broke the upper horn off in transit. Hence the shipping claim.
    Neck felt wonderful and thin and seemed to play very well but I refused to plug it in for fear I'd fall in love with a bass with no upper horn.
    A shame really still wanna know what they sound like.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I had one. A beautiful red (can't remember what they actually called the color) EDA905 which I only sold because I wasn't really a 5 string player. I still own the 4 string version that's pictured on my icon though. I've owned about 6 Ergodyne basses so perhaps I can give you some info on these basses.
    Ergodyne series were the EDA, EDB and EDC series. (the EDA and EDC series were the more "outlandish" shaped Ergodyne basses, the EDB basses were more traditional looking). Out of all of them, the EDC700 is considered the best sounding bass of the lot. It has a very full sound and there's a pretty good video review of it on YouTube. I had one and absolutely regretted selling it but I had to downsize my bass collection at that time. The next best Ergodyne I would say is the EDA900/905 series of basses- they have a very unique sound as it has the piezo pickups for each string under the bridge- (where the EDC700 had the deep rich sound, the EDA900 had a more mid/treble sound with a bite, both very different animals). When you buy the EDA900 or 905, make sure the piezo pickups work for all strings- you see quite a few where one or more of the piezo pickups don't work as some people snag them when changing strings, so be sure and make sure they work by turning down the volume of the soapbar pickup completely and turning up the one for the piezo pickups and test that you can hear each string at the same volume.
    When you look at the back of the bass , you'll see trim pots for adjusting the piezo pickup tone for each individual string as well as adjustment pots for the soapbar pickup- quite a bit of control you have with the bass - when done right, the bass sounds amazing!
    Now in terms of what the EDA905 goes for, I bought mine used from GC for about $250. They normally go for $250-350.
    As mentioned above, being a luthite bass, the bodies are difficult to repair, but I wouldn't say they're fragile either. Mine is still solid and in great shape.

As mentioned here are reviews of the Ergodyne basses.
    EDA905:
    EDC705:

Oly Spart likes this.
  4. Oly Spart

Oly Spart

May 20, 2015
    Canary Islands
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
    There is one of these for sale where I live and I would like to know how does it sounds if using only piezoelectric with soft finger playing. I m willing to buy a bass that would be useful for jazz and melodic things. Do you think this bass can do it?
    I was surprised by its sound as I thought piezoelectric sounded much warmer than what I heard in the video...