1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Ergodyne EDC 705

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drumsab, Feb 7, 2006.

1. drumsab

drumsab

Jan 22, 2006
    @home.nl
    Hi evryone,
    I need advice: There is a bass guitar on sale on a ebay-like site in my country, a dark-brown Ibanez Ergodyne EDC 705. It is a 5-string bass. I am looking for one. I currently play a 4- string Soundgear from Ibanez, which I like. I particularly like the Ibanez basses, 'cause I am a girl, so I have smaller hands. So I am guessing I like this 5 string for the girl friendly neck.
    Has anyone got a comment on this type of bass?
    And what should be a good price? This guy is not the first owner, it has some usermarks on it and he has a new set of strings to go along with it. He has bought it from a music-dealer and that was probably the last time it got tuned.
    There is no case and no further accessories. And he says he's selling because he wants to buy a Line 6.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  3. I always loved the look of those basses but they had a horrible sound IMHO, totally lacking in character and warmth. Probably due to the plastic body. Believe me, I tried a lot.

What soundgear model do you have? If you are looking to upgrade and are happy with the soundgear, Ibanez offer many versions. I just feel it is a far more versatile and a good one will serve you well for a long time.:)

4. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    I like the sound of the Ergodynes, although the body shape is a little odd. The sound quality isn't bad, but it is different. The only real complaint I would have is the weight. Those suckers are heavy considering the size.

If you are looking for a 5 stringer and are looking at Ibanez, check out the BTB series. The sound is more flexible and the weight isn't as bad.

5. ZiggyPop

ZiggyPop

Apr 11, 2005
    I play an Ergodyne 4-string, I love the sound of it. If you play alot of slap and are looking to get alot of different sounds out of it then its a good bass, however it doesnt have much sustain due to the non wood body. I also have a sound gear 5-string which I love as well. Id say it depends on what type of music you are playing and what type of rig youve got, if this is gonna be a good bass for you

-Ziggy
    www.soulintension.com

6. drumsab

drumsab

Jan 22, 2006
    @home.nl
    I don't know exactly what soundgear I have. It is a 4-string active, I bought it in 1998. And I have a lot of pleasure from it ever since.
    At home I have a Fender BXR 100 Watt amp, more than enough for home I'd say! :bassist:
    My thoughts were that the lutheite body of the 5- stringer Ergodyne would not weigh as heavey as wood, but maybe I'm mistaken. I was going to try it out first anyway, so....but what about a reasonable price? Second hand I mean. Any suggestions?

Furthermore I saw a Peavey 5-stringer (new), I think it is the Grind. I love the neck through body wood. At the shop it was for 425 euro. But I don't have any experience with Peavey's. It looks like a good bass for that money though.

En voor de Nederlandse collega: ja, ik zag hem op marktplaats. ;)

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think the Ergodyne is kinda nice - of course depending on the price, I personally wouldn't pay much more than 400€ for one.

8. Looks like I'm outvoted then:)

9. yamahabx1

yamahabx1

Jan 11, 2013
    Hello
    I think you should by it. I have one and its very good,nice sound which you can experimet with.Easy too play on and not so havey.
    hope you like it.
    i pay in us dollar aprx,300 us d.
    :bassist: bye bye from sweden