Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Ergodyne EDC 705

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drumsab, Feb 7, 2006.

1. drumsab

drumsab

Jan 22, 2006
    @home.nl
    Hi evryone,
    I need advice: There is a bass guitar on sale on a ebay-like site in my country, a dark-brown Ibanez Ergodyne EDC 705. It is a 5-string bass. I am looking for one. I currently play a 4- string Soundgear from Ibanez, which I like. I particularly like the Ibanez basses, 'cause I am a girl, so I have smaller hands. So I am guessing I like this 5 string for the girl friendly neck.
    Has anyone got a comment on this type of bass?
    And what should be a good price? This guy is not the first owner, it has some usermarks on it and he has a new set of strings to go along with it. He has bought it from a music-dealer and that was probably the last time it got tuned.
    There is no case and no further accessories. And he says he's selling because he wants to buy a Line 6.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  3. I always loved the look of those basses but they had a horrible sound IMHO, totally lacking in character and warmth. Probably due to the plastic body. Believe me, I tried a lot.

What soundgear model do you have? If you are looking to upgrade and are happy with the soundgear, Ibanez offer many versions. I just feel it is a far more versatile and a good one will serve you well for a long time.:)

4. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    I like the sound of the Ergodynes, although the body shape is a little odd. The sound quality isn't bad, but it is different. The only real complaint I would have is the weight. Those suckers are heavy considering the size.

If you are looking for a 5 stringer and are looking at Ibanez, check out the BTB series. The sound is more flexible and the weight isn't as bad.

5. ZiggyPop

ZiggyPop

Apr 11, 2005
    I play an Ergodyne 4-string, I love the sound of it. If you play alot of slap and are looking to get alot of different sounds out of it then its a good bass, however it doesnt have much sustain due to the non wood body. I also have a sound gear 5-string which I love as well. Id say it depends on what type of music you are playing and what type of rig youve got, if this is gonna be a good bass for you

-Ziggy
    www.soulintension.com

6. drumsab

drumsab

Jan 22, 2006
    @home.nl
    I don't know exactly what soundgear I have. It is a 4-string active, I bought it in 1998. And I have a lot of pleasure from it ever since.
    At home I have a Fender BXR 100 Watt amp, more than enough for home I'd say! :bassist:
    My thoughts were that the lutheite body of the 5- stringer Ergodyne would not weigh as heavey as wood, but maybe I'm mistaken. I was going to try it out first anyway, so....but what about a reasonable price? Second hand I mean. Any suggestions?

Furthermore I saw a Peavey 5-stringer (new), I think it is the Grind. I love the neck through body wood. At the shop it was for 425 euro. But I don't have any experience with Peavey's. It looks like a good bass for that money though.

En voor de Nederlandse collega: ja, ik zag hem op marktplaats. ;)

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think the Ergodyne is kinda nice - of course depending on the price, I personally wouldn't pay much more than 400€ for one.

8. Looks like I'm outvoted then:)

9. yamahabx1

yamahabx1

Jan 11, 2013
    Hello
    I think you should by it. I have one and its very good,nice sound which you can experimet with.Easy too play on and not so havey.
    hope you like it.
    i pay in us dollar aprx,300 us d.
    :bassist: bye bye from sweden