Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Ergodyne / Luthite Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Here's my problem. I recently went to the local music store (3 times)and checked out every bass in my price range. I filtered through all the usual(warwick, fender,etc.) and when I was dissappointed with every bass I tried, the sales guy busted out an Ibanez EDC-700 Ergodyne. I loved it to death. It had the greatest sound for my style and lots of knobs for different souds in addition to being strikingly beautiful. Okay, your probably thinking What's the problem. Well, I wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about the durability of Luthite, the material its made of. I heard that its supposed to be some super-hard, indestructible plastic but no one that i've talked to really knows. If you can help, Thanks a lot.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a synthetic material, with a tone about that of a maple body. They are nice in the respect that they don't chip really easy, but if they do, you can't get it refinished or sand it down like on a wood bass. It's not a bad material (Cort uses it on it's Curbow Series, among others). If you like it, then go ahead and get the bass, the Luthite is nothing to really lose sleep over.

Only word of warning: Ibanez Electronics aren't the best, you might want to replace the pickups for an even better sound, of course, that's my opinion. If you like it a lot as is though, go ahead and buy it.

3. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Luthite is damn near indistructable. A friend of mine has that exact same bass and near nothing will do much damage to it. I'd also change the electronics though....however I must admit I've played worse.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oh man, i was at a guitar center recently, just fooling around with some Mesa cabs, and a kid there knocking over an Ergodyne 5 string. Landed on a corner of a stand, broke this little chip off...stuck like CRAP! And he was forced to pay for the whole thing, since they said it could not be repaired! They poked the inside of it with a little piece of paper...it was kinda like soft clay, but smelled terrible, kind of like petroleum, which i assume is in it. Disgusting.

Id stay away.

5. nothing wrong with LUCITE, it's a love or hate thing.

it IS strong, and pretty heavy, doesn't seem to want to chip, but scratches are another thing. i think you'd be able to rub out most scratches though with ultra-fine rubbing comound, i mean if they can do it to a rolls-royce... :)

killer sustain, and if the electronics routing is visible and clean on a clear lucite body it looks quite out-of-it on stage. our manager dared me for $200 to play naked with my ampeg!

at the end of the day, though, it's not going to replace trees...ampeg and renaissance (others?) tried but it never really caught on, except for freaks like me.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    nil:
    It is NOT LUCITE, It is LUTHITE it is a newer material, Lucite is ANOTHER synthetic material used in some guitars, it is transparent, like plexiglass.
    Luthite is sometimes white or gray.

Luthite is a petroleum based synthetic material, like plastic. But it is pourous, thats why it resonates so good and it works fine for basses and guitars.

It can be repaired, if hit very hard it can broke, but with expertise it is repairable.
    The finish, wich is a heavy poliurethane, protects it. but if you take off the neck of any luthite based instrument you can almost take off little scraps of luthite, because it will behave like a semi-solid clay.

Dont worry about this. It may last longer than you.
    :)

Luthite is in its early versions, it is posible, by engineer, to resemble the sound of a laminated bass, by changing the levels of pourousity and hardness in sections of the body.
    I believe in composites. I love rockwood and graphite, and now I love Luthite.

Luthite US Patent Number : 5985219

7. well, you learn something new every day! thanks! :)

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    For one, read above about "Luthite lasting longer than you."

And two, i dont believe rockwood is a composite, at all, being that its made from wood. Just like diamondwood, etc.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

True, MA, it is made of multilaminated wood impregnated with phenolic resin.

Maybe it is an organic composite!

:D

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Organic composite? Isnt that a contradiction in terms? :D

11. embellisher

Yeah, kinda like military intelligence or government efficiency.

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
  13. embellisher

Sorry about that, lump. No offense intended to the fine men and women in our armed forces.

14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Rockwood is actually made of phenolic resin,maple shavings, maple dust,maple laminates. All of these presured and heated at 400 degrees.

So I could say is a Man/Nature made material.
    Its like recycling wood.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, i do believe hearing rockwood is made of birch.

And its not a composite. A composite is something entirely made made. Synthetic, if you will.

16. embellisher

Entirely made made?

Perhaps man made?

:p

Good night, MegaAngus.

17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    True.
    It is birch.
    The Birch veneers are saturated with Phenolic based resin,
    layered, pressed with more than 2000 lbs per square inch
    and baked at 450 degrees.

It is not considered to be a composite.
    But as I see it. Its the future.

18. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    No, I was talking about our efishint gubment...;)

19. so rockwood sounds like plywood with balls, or maybe MDF on steroids? :) what about the stupid (?) alloy Randy Rhodes Roswell geetar...composite schomposite, aw heck, it's 2:25am after a gig and i really shouldn't be rambling...

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Lfabara, make up mind! And specs of how its made dont help this dude! :D

Embellisher...yeah, MAN made! Hey, it was late! :D