1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez ergodyne pickup replacements?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by epic576, Mar 31, 2013.

1. epic576

epic576

Jan 17, 2013
    Gloucester UK
    Hey guys,

I've got a Ibanez EDB400, the basswood (not luthite) version and am looking for an upgrade in pickups rather than the stock DXH. My own research has brought up zilch so I'm asking on TB politely.

I'm running through a Laney BC120 at home and an Ashdown BA200 at practice. Style is mainly hard rock and metal. The bass has passive pickups with an active EQ (Phat - again can't find anything on it)

Any suggestions on PU's or preamp would be much appreciated. If I had to set a budget I'd say between £100 - 200 but preferably on the lower end of that.

Cheers

AJ

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    They look to be about the same size as some of the Bartolini soaps, so there are probably a bunch of drop-in replacements. Can you post the pickup dimensions? That would help immensely.

3. epic576

epic576

Jan 17, 2013
    Gloucester UK
    Sure,

110mm x 30 mm

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    For pickups, I'd suggest the Bartolini MK series. For a preamp, an EMG brand BTC to replace the Ibanez "Phat II" preamp. I'm planning on doing this upgrade to my Ergodyne as soon as I sell another guitar to raise the cash.

5. epic576

epic576

Jan 17, 2013
    Gloucester UK
    Much appreciated, I've looked at the MK1s and read they're rather week but the EMG preamp could fix that. Are you thinking about the BTC control or the whole system?

6. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    EMG's "System" controls need to be used with EMG active pickups. I was actually thinking about the EMG "BQC" control to replace the Phat EQ and the passive tone control. The BCQ control has two concentric knobs, one for bass/treble and the other for midrange level/mid. frequency.

MK1s are Korean-made and as far as I know they're only available installed on new basses and not sold by themselves. The US made ones are the MK4 for 4-strings and the MK5 for 5 strings. The actual model numbers are MK4CBC and MK5CBC with either a B or T following to denote the "bass" or neck position pickup and "treble" or bridge position pickup.

7. epic576

epic576

Jan 17, 2013
    Gloucester UK
    Thanks for clarifying, I must say I am a newbie to upgrades