Ibanez Ergodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Okay guys, I was just really bored, and started browsing ebay for basses, typed in Ibanez, and was sad to not see any Ergodynes in the US.

I played an EDB605 a while back in a local shop, and a 4 at GC. I love the feel of the bass, has a nice weight to it, great comfort, and awesome moldings, almost make it stick to you.

I was just wandering what all of you think of the EDB and its sister series the EDA's and EDC's.

What mods have you guys/girls done to enhance your Ergodynes? New pups? differant pre?

Do tell all accounts of these basses good and bad!

Just Jabbering 'till the Jaw Drops off!
  2. The EDA905 was the second bass I ever owned, and even though I bought it mainly for looks because I was 16 and in a metal band, I was surprised and pleased by how it sounded. I liked it a lot and the light body made it to be a very fun bass to play. The E string tuner kind of broke on me early on, one of the knobs fell off right away and the initial set-up felt like it was 2 inches of the frets, but after some TLC I had a very pleasant experience with it. The stock pups in it sounded great with what I was trying to do, and the B string had a real nice growl to it without getting all farty. I was playing an EDB in the local shop the other day and I thought for the way it sounded and felt it was tagged at a great deal. I know there are a lot of people who aren't too fond of ibanez's but I've been real happy with what they gave me and do believe they put out some affordable quality products when taking into account the poor resale value.
  3. I have and love my EDA, as said above you need to get a good setup done on it, as its strings are about 4 ft above the fretboard when you first get it

I love the sound of mine, just need new strings ( i want to get another one, but i only like the colour i have now and the black one, both of which were the first colours it was availible in i think, the jewel blue is ok . . . )

I dont like the EDB as much, too normal for my likings, and pretty heavey in comparison to the EDA and EDC

I like both versions of the EDC, ( on with 2 soapbars, one with the triple coil pickup like on the atk) , both are really easy to play and have thier own sound which i think is really good

All in all, EDA 905's are teh s3x :p
  4. I have never played an EDA, but I guess I'll have to make it my business to play one now, huh?

...I honestly don't know why Ibanez is considered crap around here. I mean sure they let a few bad ones slip through, but so does Fender, but no, Fender is God-like, and to slander them is like blastphemy around here!

I'm pretty happy with what products of theirs I've played, like the EDB and the Artcore single cut, (forgot name) both of which will be in my collection someday! The only thing I DON'T like the SDGR 5 string necks, way to shunky for me, I guess I'm a narrow-necked 5 guy, or maybe I need just stick to 4... But it is nice to have a 5 laying around in case of the occasional low B being needed :)

5. I know, i personally prefer Ibanez basses generally compaired to other makes (altho i am GASing for a Fender Aerodyne)

The neck on the EDA is pencil thin, yet its still 19mm string spacing at the bridge

Dont judge what it plays like before having it set up, that makes a HUGE difference !

I personally dont like the lower sounde gear series, a friend of mine had one, and it just sounded pap, you should try some BTB's if you have the chance, but they are pretty thick necks, well, my 6er is anyway!
  6. EDC700 or the EDC705 are great. I never liked the EDB series, and couldnt stand the EDA.

I still use my EDC700.
  7. Pak

Nov 14, 2004
    I have EDC700, and it is my only one bass,
    because i am a begininger :D
    i play EDC700 two years ago,
    but i feel it not enough LOW now, mid and tre was much that bass...

i love my bass, touching and feeling and the shape are very good, so i want to change pickup now~ :D
  8. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I owned Ibanez EDB605, EDB690 and BTB405 as some of my first basses. I really never could get over the gasoline smell of the luthite bodies, and never felt like any of them had the thick solid tone I wanted. To be fair though, I'll admit I was new to playing bass and hadn't tried flatwound strings at that point. Still, when I tried some other basses with roundwounds I could get more depth than I could get with my basses. Since discovering flats and having tried a few more basses, I still feel that the Ibanez basses I had were too electronic and sterile sounding. I think they were all well built, but I don't look at Ibanez these days when I'm checking out basses.
  9. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think, as with many other basses, the Ergodynes are something of an acquired taste and not for everyone. I like that Ibanez and others are trying out synthetic materials like luthite, for those who are environmentally conscious. I saw a metalcore band play the other night where the bassist used an EDC, and he sounded quite good with it. He was mixed a little too low, though. The bass not really for me, though (I prefer a woodier tone) but it worked in this guy's band's context.
  10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I had an EDA905. Horrible quality. When I first got it it had a recurring rattle in the E monorail that was audible if I turned the piezo up. The neck had a dip in it right at the neck joint so big the action was 3/4 of an inch at the bottom of the neck. After awhile the B piezo monorail stopped working altogether. So I sent it in and got it back in 2 pieces. It either took a hit or got so cold in the airplane that the tension of the strings broke the body. The whole neck joint and upper horn had separated from the body. Apparently luthite will shatter like glass if hit right. It also has a problem with screw holes stripping.

Soundwise I compare it to an icepick on a chalkboard.

All in all a valuable lesson about not buying a bass because it looks cool and has impressive specs. *slaps self* :rolleyes:
  11. Well, you have to also understand that a bass is not going to be set up properly from the factory 8 out of 10 times. Setting up the bass is something that the player is responsible for, not the manufacturer. About the piezos crapping out, well, that's just poor craftsmenship, thumbs down on Ibanez for that. Hopefully you just recieved the runt of the litter, and that's not a common problem with EDA users.

You shipped the bass with the strings in-tune??? What were you thinking!!! lmao, just kidding man, it's a mistake alot of people don't think about. That's why Im skeptical of ordering a bass from ebay, Im afraid whomever sells me a bass will overlook loosening the strings before shipping. It's not something that HAS to be done, but SHOULD be done, to insure safety of the instrument... Alot of pressure/tension is forced onto a bass by the strings, alot more that most people believe.

12. StringMan50

Jan 12, 2004
    I just gig with this bass last Sunday at our pastor and wife 21 first anniversary. There was sax player,organ,piano, keyboard,drums,congas,and of course the EDA905. The church has a SWR 4004 full stack 4x10 and 1x15. Gain and volume set at half. Volume on bass and pizzeo no where full and this baby just seem to come alive, came from musician friend set just right I just need to tune the EDA905. This bass make me want to practice all day long if I had the chance to do so, work limits this choice. I think for $329.00 from musician friend I think this will stay apart of my arsenal. SR400,SR885,EDA905. I'm already saving up the EDA900 four stringer.
  13. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    My bass is an EDB500 (i'm only a student, too poor to afford the higher end of the series) and I love it to death. The entire series caught my imagination enough to make me take the plunge and get serious into bass playing. I absolutely love everything about the bass, it feels beautiful, sounds great to me and looks stunning. The 900s are even nicer imo.

Maybe i'm just bias and inexperienced though, but they do it for me =)
  14. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I got an EDB605 back when I was going through my "tiny, pencil-thin neck" phase.

I thought it played pretty alright, and looked way cool, and the body was contoured nicely, but I could never get a decent clean tone out of the thing.

But it seemed like any effect I tried with it worked super good. Distortion, chorus, BassBalls, Mutron, those all worked great with it. But I couldn't justify keeping a bass just for using with effects, so I sold mine.
  15. The EDAs were discontinued, I'm not sure when, but I haven't seen many floating around lately.

It's good to see people discussing Ibanez and not going berzerk if someone disagrees with them. It wasn't like this a few years ago. :D

Anyway, I have an EDA905F (fretless) that I love. I bought it mainly because I was looking for a fretless 5 string with an unlined board for less than $1,000, and the Ibanez fit the bill.

I love the sounds I can get from it, but I must admit that it took me a while to find them. It's got one magnetic pup roughly in the Stingray position, and piezos in the bridge, but the magnetics and the piezos each have their own EQ system.

For the magnetic pup, it's got a 2 band EQ with one knob. :confused: :meh:

It boosts and/or cuts both bass and treble at the same time.

Then, for the piezo pups you boost or cut the treble with a knob on the front of the bass, but adjust the bass level for the piezos with a screwdriver through the back!

It took sometime before I got tones out of it that I liked, but now I am completely satisfied. I can get a pretty good upright-like tone out of it, and that's what I bought it for in the first place. I do think that many people who just picked one up in a store were confused by the EQ, and just passed them by.

The construction and electronics quality of mine are both very good. Perhaps I just got lucky?

They do smell like gasoline, but are one of the most comfortable designs you'll ever play. Really. ;)

I give credit where credit is due, and Ibanez made a very good instrument with the EDA, but with an EQ system that took too much time to learn to tweak for most.

16. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    For how much do you find an EDA 905 2 hand? i was acctually thinking about these basses (and the fact they vanished) when I bumped on this thread. :smug:
  17. I'm not sure if it's a two-band, probably isn't. But, Musicians F(r)iend is running a $299.00(?) special on the 4-string basses right now.

Wow, that EQ sounds pretty odd to me :meh: , but hey, I guess if you like the bass, then it's worth it.

I'm totally satisfied with the replies thusfar, I'm actually very suprised noone has come on here saying bad things about Ibanez, I guess everyone got bored with bashing Ibanez. (yay!)

I just noticed that in Stone Sour's video for "Get Inside" that the bass player is playing an Ibanez EDA, 900 or 905, I didn't look hard enough for number of strings, or at the headstock. Considering the fact that his main is a BTB, I think that's pretty cool.

Keep on Postin'
  18. That sucks, ive heard of problems from the bridges, but never had one myself, the rattle could have been anything physical to cause the rattle when the piezo was on

And you have to be careful when changing strings not to catch the wires under the saddle

The action is something that needs pro setup, i have never seen one that was out of the factory with a decent action

And to whoever asked, they were discontinued at the begginning of this year, so they are still quite easily aquireable, just moreso in the not too nice (imo) colours they had, the original colours they had for it were soo much better

Did anyone ever try the bass the EDA was bassed on? i know it was an Ibanez, started with an "A" i know that, wooden body, and essentially the same specs
  19. I own a EDC 700 (it was my first bass actually), and although I don't play it often, I really like it (I should play it more often). I was thinking about changing the stock PU's bij EMG, anyone done this? I'm talking about the 2PU configuration btw
  20. WOW! :eek:

For $299, I'd advise anyone to jump on one of these, even if it's only for a backup.

Believe me, if you play with the EQ a little, you'll get some very nice, slightly unusual, but very useable tones out of this bass.

I'm thinking about getting one myself.

Mike ;)