1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Ergonomic Headless Bass (EHB) club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I haven't dropped it or banged it into anything. I took it out right after it was delivered just to check it out. The next time I took it out of the case, I saw those cracks.

2. Unmost

Unmost Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  3. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
  4. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Well, even though this is a crappy situation for me, I shall say some nice things. I like the way the bass sounds and plays. I really like the 18mm spacing. I'm a little lost with all the controls but it's kinda fun fiddling with all the knobs. I'm not sure what the purpose of the mid frequency sweep is. Not the cut/boost but the other mid control.

The bass is pretty light but not as light as I thought it would be. Of course, I could've received a "heavier" one. It feels about the same as my Kiesel VB 5. Probably a bit lighter.

There was next to no adjustment needed for playing the fanned frets. I don't even really notice them when I look down at the fretboard. Pretty neat. I can't say it's easier or more comfortable to play at this point. I need more time with it but I really don't want to touch the bass again for fear of making the Cracks worse.

5. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    The mid sweep was my least favorite control... until someone explained to me how to use it. Now I see how great of a control it is. What helped me see the light was to slightly boost and/or cut the mids then sweep it. If you leave it in the center detent it stays flat. you're specifically choosing the mid freq you want to control.

five7 and DiabolicLow B like this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    This would not be a return...your received a damaged instrument that probably does not match the pictures in the E-bay listing. E-bay will work on your behalf, trust me. Now, in all fairness, the damage may have occurred during shipping but, again, onus falls in the lap of the retailer / shipper.

*Don't dick around with it.

*Get pics of the bass, supporting paperwork, and packaging

*Be prepared to reference the E-bay listing including pics & text.

*Route all communications thru E-bay's messaging service...no external e-mails, etc.

*Initiate you E-bay claim now. You'll have to create a dialogue with the seller as a preliminary...E-bay will step-in if the problem remains unresolved.

Riis

7. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I tried initiating a return with eBay but it won't allow me to upload pictures and I can't start the return process. Weirdly enough, I was able to upload the pictures when I contacted the seller through eBay's messaging system.

Edit: Just tried it again and I was able to upload the pictures.
    And thanks for your reply, Zooberwerx. I'll definitely stay on top of this. I don't want to screw the seller over but I don't want to screw Herrick either.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Zooberwerx likes this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I think there's a time frame which kinda forces you to attempt to resolve the issue with the other party before E-bay will intervene. Or did you see something different? Sorry, you have to play by their rules and patience is a virtue.

What was the seller's response?

Riis

Nuage420 likes this.
  9. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    Wonder if the roasted maple is more prone to this type of problem.

10. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I live in El Paso where it's as dry as it gets... I have none of those issues. Which seems to be too be caused by dry more brittle wood?

11. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    The seller has not responded to the message I sent them. I was able to start the refund request about half an hour ago. Ebay says the seller has until March 4 to respond to the return request.

Zooberwerx and Nuage420 like this.
  12. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You're in like flint. If they seller tells you to get bent, game's on!!

Riis

13. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Notice how the crack follows the screw line? More than likely, the pilot holes were woefully undersized and the screws acted like a wedge when introduced. Ever split seasoned firewood? Same thing.

Riis

nixdad, five7 and Nuage420 like this.
  14. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Looks like I'll probably have to send back my 1506MS. Pretty bummed about that.

Nuage420 likes this.
  15. P Cheen

P Cheen formerly Jaxon5 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Aw, man. So sad to hear about these problems/returns. Me personally I sold my 1005MS because it wasn’t as snappy* as I wanted it to be. Probably the best B string I’ve tried though, and the flattest fingerboard too.

*think Fender Jazz snappy

Nuage420 likes this.
  16. Bartrinsic

Bartrinsic Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2018
    San Diego
    Cut the low mids deep and boost the bass for slap. Or, I sometimes like a little upper mid boost to get cool mid sounds; that can be combined with treble cut which gives much more interesting rolled off tones than a passive tone pot. Have fun.

Nuage420 likes this.
  17. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    I bought a MIM Jazz 2 months after my EHB because of the same lack of snappiness, but the Fender fretboard is insufferable in comparison. I’m looking into replacing it with a modern bass with double hot singles now, maybe it’s time to order that Warwick. Not letting go of the EHB though, it’s great for everything else.

Nuage420 likes this.
  18. P Cheen

P Cheen formerly Jaxon5 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Was it because of the fretboard radius? I understand, and I think a Warwick with those super flat ‘boards would suit you well.

Nuage420 likes this.
  19. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind Goratory-sour grapes out now!! Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Damn that’s a rough one

Herrick likes this.
  20. My EHB1505MS came with a broken headstock, it has been since renecked (maybe by ibanez, I am not sure, it was a bit of a mess up getting it replaced). IMG_0669.jpeg

Zooberwerx likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021