1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez EXB 404 neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowness, Mar 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Lowness

Lowness Banned

Mar 13, 2015
    Healdsburg, CA
    Hola

I have a quick question on the neck of what is mean to be an 1989 Ibanez EXB404 bass.

Simply, does this neck look correct?

It has this strange join near the head - it plays well, though it just doesn't look like the join should be there.

The fretboard is not cracked.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I have an 89 ex405. It only says Ibanez on the headstock. Anything later would say EX series or something like that on the headstock under the Ibanez logo.

Anyway...mine does not have a scarf joint (the curved line before the headstock)..if that's what you are asking about.

3. Smoothmove

Smoothmove Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Lebanon , Oregon
    I had a Rogue bass that had the same neck, it didn't seem to affect it any it just looks odd. A friend of mine had one custom painted on the neck to match the body color so he didn't have to look at it. It turned out nice. :)

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Most scarf joints are closer or right at the headstock, but it doesn't matter much, just a little odd aesthetically. That glue joint is stronger then the surrounding wood anyway.

5. My 2004 ICB200 Iceman Bass (Korea) has a scarf joint, while my 1990/1 RD828 (Japan) does not.
    The scarf joint makes a lot of sense from a construction and stability standpoint. Your headstock will never break the way some Gibsons and other tilt-back designs might, as the grain structure is optimized for each section and a good glue joint is stronger than wood.

Whether it's original I can't say, but it's not an unknown feature for Ibanez by any means.

vishalicious likes this.
  6. I have the same bass and it has the same joint.

scourgeofgod likes this.
  7. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    Here's another more abused EXB404, you'll see it has the same scarf joint.

2lvgrxi.jpg

vishalicious likes this.
  8. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Here's mine without. And it's a 1 piece neck with multiple pieces at the head stock. It's an ex405 - 2 pairs of P pickups which seems like it was only made in 1989. Guess they made the necks in several different ways.

20150403_113925_zpsa7e6zilf.jpg

20150403_113909_zpstvyyar9n.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    vishalicious likes this.