1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez EXB445 - What's it like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I see an Ibanez EXB445 on Craigslist for $175 and I'm thinking about it as a fixer-upper.

Is $175 a good, bad or ugly price?
    What are these like?
    Are they heavy?
    Do they have the thin profile like the modern SR series?
    What's the string spacing like?
    Does the neck pocket match modern SR basses?
    Is the headstock straight or angled back?

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    $175 is okay if the bass was really clean and needed no repairs. But you called it a fixer-upper, so no, not a good price IMO. Those basses are light, and have a slimmed down heavy metalish body, more like a Precision copy than a Soundgear. Neck pocket might fit a lower end Soundgear (like the GSR), but not one of the ones with the angled heel. I don't remember if the headstock is angled or not.

3. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I don't mean it's in bad condition, I mean that I like that the strings have a straight path over the nut. I would refinish it, install a whammy and probably replace the electronics.

The main thing I'm curious about is whether it has that super-thin SR style neck.

4. TredH20

TredH20

Sep 21, 2009
    It's been awhile, but the EXB445 was my first bass back in high school. I bought an SR1200 after about 4-5 years of playing on the EXB and from what I remember the necks were nothing alike - it definitely was not the thin SR neck.

5. Is that the one on the SD craigslist? I just saw it and searched TB for info too. Would fit good in my new metal project.

6. I have an EXB 445 right now, I think it's an awesome little bass, great tone, and plays real smooth. I bought cuz I figured it was a cheap way to see if I wanted to play a 5 string, turns out, I don't, so it's for sale, but no one will buy it. I guess I could be stuck with a worse bass.

7. Howdy all, just took possession of one of these today from UPS via an evilBay seller. I wanted a pointy-headstocked bass to match my pointy-headstocked RG7421. Sort of bought it on a whim.

It seems like a decent bass, I am just wondering about the tone control. I'm not hearing any difference turning it. Like at all.

Mine has a C3 start to the serial number, which seems to be a 1993. And that wiring diagram isn't on the Ibanez site anymore. No idea if that makes a difference to the Neck Volume, Bridge Volume, Tone control knob configuration.

I figure, most likely, it's a broken or re-routed pot. But I thought I'd ask to see if I was missing something on this model.

Thanks for any information.

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    "I am just wondering about the tone control. I'm not hearing any difference turning it. Like at all."

'Quote button not working...

Check for cap terminal or tone pot connection came off, or tone pot not grounded.

9. I just opened her up and both wires into the tone control either broke (unlikely) or were un-soldered by the previous owner.

The evilBay seller offered to work with me to get it repaired but I don't use tone controls much so I guess I'll let it be.

10. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    I'm a bit curious about this bass as well for a just for fun project as I have one near me for a pretty good price. I'd like to know a bit more insightful description of neck profile. I already own an SR390 and have owned a K5 as well as other basses to have an idea about a thin neck profile versus a baseball bat neck on both 4 and 5 strings....Where abouts does this thing sit, in terms of neck thickness, weight and feel? There isn't too much info/videos on this particular model. I know it isn't a "high end" instrument by any means but it's all good cause I have a few basses that fill that role just fine again it's a just for the hell of it kind of thing.