Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Splanky, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Saw an add, selling a nice looking Ibanez fretless. Simular to the ones Sting used in the beginning of his Police career.
    It look´s like a nice instrument. The price asked is approx. 300 $
    Anyone with experience? Or comments.
    I would be grateful :)

2. OMG ! :eek:

dude ! are you stupid ?!? GO GET IT !!
    that's one of the best ibanez series ever built !!

go get it now !

3. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    I own a fretted version that was made in '78. It's a great bass. Very versatile and built to last.

4. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Sent the guy a mail. Yearning to get a reply :(
    Money to spend, car to go get. It look´s really good. How are they soundwise?

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Since Mr.Ibanez (AllodoX) is practically drooling all over it, I think you can´t go wrong with it soundwise.

If you don´t like it, you can always sell it to AllodoX for 400$ ;)

6. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I have the fretted model , great bass . Nice balance and very well built. You may have to shield the eq compartment.

7. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Anyone knows what model it is?

8. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    It a MC940 - check out VintageIbanez.com

9. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Sorry it's Ibanezvintage.com

10. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Tanx a lot Fcoda!

Really appreciate it!!

11. In the early 80's I owned a very rare version of this bass. Instead of it being called the "Musician" it was called the "Artist EQ". Bought it new for $1200 if you can believe an Ibanez went for that much way back then. Very sweet and a perfect step up for a guy that really likes Fenders but wanted an Alembic. 4 types of wood - Maple, mahogany, ash, and ebony with the neckthrough. Pretty advanced for it's time. I'm aching to get another one.

12. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    have been looking around desparately for the same bass. i've heard rave reviews - it is a solid bass whose price doesn't accruately reflect it's great quaility. in short, i hear you get a lot of bang for you buck. i bet they are collectable (i'm sure thanks in part to sting) - anyone know?

splanky - if you don't buy the bass, will you defer to me and tell me how to track it down? to the guy who mentioned ibanezvintage.com - thanks for the hot tip! be well everyone.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Musician series were arguably the best basses Ibanez ever made. If everything is in working order, that is a good price. Jump on it!

14. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    My son has been using my old Ibanez musican as a back up . He took it out to get set up , he put on a set of Roto flat nylons on it and it does sound great. He's playing a MM5 and wants to sell off the Ibanez for a Fender Jazz , I was going to let him sell if off since I don't play that much anymore. But after playing the Ibanez again I can say I have played a 4 string lately that has a neck that feels this nice , plus the bass is in great shape , original and everything works.

15. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Nice.

That is one of the only Ibanez basses I can actually say I like. That headstock just sticks out as a Carl Thompson to me. Nice sleek fretless fingerboard and the body aint half bad too.