Ibanez GAXB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aristotle, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Anyone check one of these out yet? My guitar player uses an AX series, same general shape, and I really how it feels so I was wondering if anyone had tried one out or seen one in person yet? Theyre only 162 bucks at where I saw it online so I figure its proly not the best. But its not the woods that they cut back on, alder body, maple/rosewood neck, so maybe its the pickups? It's got a really simple layout, which I tend to lean towards, being a simple sort of player. One volume knob and one three way switch, which Im guessing is for series/split/parallel, and only one soapbar pickup. They introduced it at summer NAMM and I was just wondering if was worth the 162 smackers?
  2. Bastijn

Apr 10, 2003
    Haarlem, Holland
    Well the dutch bassforum is down, I wanted to post the same question there......

I think this bass is real cute, I really like its unconventional looks ( from the AX-series).
    And I'm considering buying this bass as a backup, but Im also wondering why he's so cheap.
    The Ibanez Summer NAMM's comment on this bass, is that it's a beginnersbass (well duh), with a single volumeknob and a three-way switch for tone-contral.
    The bass is made of good wood, and the bridge isn't a standard vintage-lookalike as on the cheap GSR's. The saddles look real good for a budget bass.
    I must conclude that the pickup sucks, because the rest of the bass looks worth more money than 160 dollar (probably 200 Euro here in Holland!!!). And if the pick-up produces a great sound, I just don't know how this bass comes so cheap.
    I searched the whole web for buying 'm online, or reviews, but I couldn't find any... (help wanted) probably because he's quite new...

I'm really interested if someone could tell me more about this bass.
    here's a pick
    (I like m in black, cause of those standard Ibanez black headstocks. The blue and the red version just doesn't look good with a black headstock)
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I like that body shape. I might buy one for $162, maybe put in a new pickup. I like the green color in the new MF catalog.
  4. i played one at GC, they sound alright, but i'm not much of a connysur of bass tone. I'd compare the tone to something similar to a p bass or maybe a neck solo'ed jazz, but i like the tone of a squier, so go figure...lol

P.S maybe not really a squier, but it dont take much to impress me...hehe.
  5. Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    How much does the 3-way switch do to the tone? How much output does that 1 pickup give? Any one have any input on those questions?
  6. 2 of the settings cant be told apart, one makes it a bit ballsier... thats the only way i can describe it, The switch has like, some graphic on it, light, to shaded, to black. I dunno what thats supposed to mean. And the pup is ok to me. Couldnt tell between it and the entry level spector i played on the same amp w/ the same settings.
    Hope that helps.
  7. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Resurecting a 10 year dead thread, but i have one. I traded my first ever bass a squier precision affinity series for it. Loved it cause it reminded me of Gene Simmons' lobue bass. Regarding the 3 way switch. The color code always baffled me (light, half/half, black) But one position gives you a nice resemblance to a gibson EBO mudbucker so bottom end with pretty decent highs in the tone. Middle is just a very bad mid cut sound. It's very flat, giving the impression it's isolated in a room, or if you were standing a block away from a house that was blasting so much bass that it was just very very bottom end with no definition. The third position is more of a bright precision/jazz bass pickup. Very treble. I've removed my switch to use it in a recent repair of another bass i own. So it now only has the volume control. I do plan on changing the pickup in the future to a mudbucker and adding an EMG passive EQ concentric pot.