1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez getting into the mini amp game!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by synterx, Apr 7, 2009.

1. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Check this out:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Product-news/Ibanez-Promethean-Bass-Amp

Nice looking, all the features. I can't wait for others, mainly Peavey, to start doing the mini amp thing. Interesting that Ibanez would enter the game. Their amps previous to this have been nothing but some combos sold on the low end.

OOh, just noticed the recessed top handle, the fact that the head is removeable, and the linex coating. If this had Genz or some other brand on it, it would be HOT. They are pricing it at the high end, so maybe this could be one smokin' line of combos (assuming the 1x10 is just the first of several configurations).

2. I noticed they left the word "Ibanez" off the products.

Mike

3. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
  4. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Lincoln, CA
    That is pretty slick. Though I have to admit that I'm really not a fan of class D topology. I'll have to keep an eye out for those to make their appearance at one of the local shops.

5. bassrique

bassrique

Nov 27, 2007
    Florida
    For the price, I suspect one could do better, but we'll see.

6. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
  7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Considering that those are list prices it doesn't seem too bad. I like that 2x10 combo...

8. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    It will be interesting to see how much they can price below the Genz-Benz shuttle combos.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My thoughts, too. And how much different they will sound from the GB as well.

10. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    It shows me that someone at Ibanez is paying attention to the bass world. These smaller, modular systems are (hopefully IMO) the way it's going.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The only product that was fully functional at Winter NAMM was the 1x10 combo, so of course I had to play through it! :D

It obviously had its volume limits (as any 1x10 combo does), but the tone was really, really good! A tad more full sounding and perhaps a tad less crisp, in relation to the Shuttle combos. The cabs and head case seem quite sturdy, but to be honest, I prefer the more solid feel of the Genz-Benz knobs/pots. The Promethean knobs/sliders felt okay, it's just that Genz-Benz really excels in this regard.

The actual engineers were there when I was playing, and I talked to them a bit. They are some smart fellows, for sure, and I honestly expect very good things from this line.

Here are some photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom.

12. When is the expected sale dates of this combo?

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree. The amp looks to be pretty basic. I don't see them selling a lot of them unless they bring the price down at least $100 or more. They look nice though.

14. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Basic? Really? It seems to have the exact same set of features and watts as all the other current faves, Shuttle, MB2, LMII, etc. What is so basic about it in your view? If they were built well, and perform well on magazine and bass gear magazine, they will sell plenty.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I hope they have the same great CS that Ibanez is legendary for...hiding the name of their parent company (Hoshino), and answering calls with an accusatory "How did you get this number?" Looks interesting, but after that little experience, I'll never buy another Ibanez product again.

16. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    OOH!!! a vibe control!!! SIGN ME UP!!
    [/sardonic caps]

17. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Lincoln, CA
    It's because it says Ibanez on it. Didn't you know that automatically makes it worth less? :)

They do look pretty nice though. Hopefully I'll get to hear one in person once they hit the stores.

18. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I, for one, think the amp heads looks pretty rad.

19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    It does look cool. Let's see if they can down down in price below the GB's and MB's and into Carvin BX500 territory. I'd expect very good bang-for-buck performance from a company like Ibanez. I'd also expect them to have the bugs worked out before release, since they have a BIG budget compared to some other manufacturers. Ibanez is like Yamaha, very solid products and and mid-to-high quality for low-to-mid prices. My new Ibanez ATK750KA bass amazes me for what I'd paid for it.

20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree completely!