Ibanez GSR Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DigitalGnome, Nov 6, 2003.

1. DigitalGnome

Oct 30, 2003
    My dilemma is this: I'm a newbie getting my first bass, and I've decided on an Ibanez GSR series. However, strange as it may sound, I'm not sure whether to get the GSR100 or GSR200.

The 100 obviously costs less, and I like the Grey Metallic finish more than any of the 200's colors. But the 200 has the versatility of both a P and a J pickup, while the 100 has only the P. Also, the 100 is made of Alder while the 200 is made of Agathis; I'm not sure which is better.

If anyone can aid me in this decision, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
  2. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    My first bass was a GSR-200. I picked it over the 100 because I was clueless about basses and thought the choice of the J or P pickup was as great of a thing as the salesman at GC made it out to be. Unfortunately on a budget bass like this, thinking that you are going to get true J or P sound out of these cheap pickups is not realistic. Basically you get two pickups that sound..."ok for a 200 buck bass" with one being slight boomier and one being slightly treblier. One of them, I can't remember which, had a nice 60 cycle buzz to go along with it unless I was touching the strings. Don't get me wrong, it served it's purpose as a good starter bass. The pencil skinny neck made for easy playing, but once I got fairly decent at playing and another guy let me play a Fender MIA P one time, I could hardly pick up the thing anymore and sold it on Ebay. I made the silly move of trying an SR-400 for awhile because it had an active pre-amp, but it only sounded moderately better than the 200. You will hopefully get lots of responses and some suggestions for other starter basses like Yamaha's and Essex's. The GSR-200 still has a special place in my heart because I learned on it and played my first gigs on it, but it was definitely a bottom of the line starter bass. You can do worse though. If you're on a tight budget, it will get the job done.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea, ttry a Yamaha or an Essex. Essex's are really nice. I prefer mine over my MIM Fender Jazz, which costs over 3 times as much.
  4. If I was definately getting a gsr.. I'd go for the 200 because of the pup J/P pups.. Having a J makes a lot of difference.. ANd personally I can't live with just a P pickup in a bass.-