1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ibanez gsr?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by otisspunkmeyer, Mar 25, 2006.

1. otisspunkmeyer

otisspunkmeyer

Mar 12, 2006
    anyone play an ibanez gsr? any model? thinking of making a purchase.

2. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    I purchased a gsr100 for my first bass quite some time ago

Not horrible, but I would have rather purchased an SX Jazz or p/j for much less

What is your price limit?

3. otisspunkmeyer

otisspunkmeyer

Mar 12, 2006
    trying to stay around $200. isnt much but cant afford much. never played before. really excited about learning

4. GSR100 here. I guess I'm partial to the neck since I learned to play on it. I just like thin necks. The edging isn't the smoothest but you won't notice if you're just starting really. It sits well standing like a fender type design. Not exactly balanced and it will tilt up a little since it's bottom heavy; but I consider that a good quality for easy access to lower registers. Very light, you won't mind it for long sets. The electronics on it are not great, but not really worth upgrading. The wood is not exactly quality. But it's comfy and light. I actually only had to adjust the neck once in the first 4 years I had it which surprises me.

I paid 139 for it used from GC some 6 or 7 years ago. I think if i were to ever sell it i would think you could pick one up for 50 or 70 bucks used.

Anytime one is starting out on bass I usually recommend a Squire or Ibanez as a starter bass. Don't expect the world for <200 bucks. But don't expect complete crap. Bass making has evolved greatly in the last 20 years. Glad to see you in the low end ranks. Hope you enjoy your instrument whatever you choose. Cheers.

5. Eddie95Z28

Eddie95Z28 I play bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Detroit Area, Michigan
    I bought bought a GSR200 a few years ago as my first bass which I eventually defretted. It played great for me "out of the box" and once I learned how to do a decent setup it was even better both fretted and after it became the second bass and I pulled the frets out. It sounded good as well but eventually developed some noisy pots that had to be replaced. I still have it to this day and it is still a solid instrument. You won't go wrong with it as a first bass.

6. otisspunkmeyer

otisspunkmeyer

Mar 12, 2006
    i have really been looking at the gsr200. the SX sont sound bad either.