Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez GSR200 factory strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Swizzle, Mar 19, 2006.

1. In short these strings are really bad. IMO.
    I don't like the sound at all.

I have just bought my first guitar, as you may have guessed an Ibanez GSR200. I had made the decision as soon as it arrived to get it set up professionally. (highly recommended)
    But as with any new baby I just had to hold her for a bit!
    Out of the box it was bad. So much fret buzz.

After the pro setup. Its an absolute pleasure to play!

But the strings really let the guitar down. Shame on you Ibanez, for all the wonders you turn out you couldnt just put some nice strings on your starter guitars.

In short. I'm looking for some new strings, but the walls of strings in the guitar shops make me scratch my head! :meh:

Can anyone recommend some good strings for me? I'm looking for a nice low punchy sound. The factory ones are very very 'pingy'

Going to be playing a lot of classic rock, but also modern rock as well. Anyone experimented with different strings on the GSR200?

Thanks guys, appreciate any help you can give me!

2. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    I put D'addario XL strings on my GSR205(exactly the same as GSR200 but with 5 strings) and the bass sounds a LOT better and the strings felt smoother and less clanky and 'pingy'. It's still a little bit too punchy and that's probably the problem with my tiny 15watt combo.

3. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Strange. My GSR200 was delivered with a near-perfect setup, and with nice strings.

But anyway, I like Prosteels on mine.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Personally, I like Elixirs. Expensive though, and little treble - mostly bass and midrange (punchy)