ibanez gsr200, need help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by napalmslayer, Feb 1, 2006.

1. napalmslayer

Feb 1, 2006
    hey, i just got a gsr200, its my first bass. When it is on, there is a annoying loud humming or buzing sound. But when i play a string or put my hand across the strings, it goes away. Also when i turn the tone knob all the way off, the hissing sound goes away. Is this just a really bad guitar, or does it have to do with the battery that goes in the back of it? i'm new to this. well thanx for any help
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Neither. Thats kind of normal to happen, it comes from either electromagnetic interference or the 60 hz that your AC power comes in.

Heres a piece of advice: Look up shielding. It should get rid of some (if not all) of the noise.
  3. My bass does that also...for me it was as simple as turning the high eq down to normal if not low. Try that and see if it works, I don't actually know why it does that though, maybe someone else can answer that in detail for us. :)

Good luck with playing, never give up! It is an amazingly fun instrument to play even once you have a few jazz licks down.

Good luck,

EDIT: Thanks Minger.
  4. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    you should buy my gsr200 as a backup. It's blue. ;)
  5. Yeah, Control Cavity Shielding Foil (Search that Term) will definately help you out alot with this problem. This is actual a very common and normal problem with lower end guitars. I guess it can come from bad solder joints or a bad ground maybe. But most likely is due to electronics interference. I know that when I wear my cell phone in it's holster on my belt, when I get an IM or a phone call, my amp starts to buzz. Also, if I stand too close to a TV that isn't off or muted (ie. volume is up) my amp also begins to hiss. This only happens with my lower end passive Peavey Millenium BXP, and doens't happen at all to my Ibanez SR406.

6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Yup, get a little on my SX and none on my Ibanez RB800
  7. napalmslayer

Feb 1, 2006
    thanx for the replies, but i really know nothing about all the technical electronic stuff. Its hard for me to read when it talking about hz and db and shieldings when i have no clue what they do. i'm thinking of going back to drums lol
  8. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Just take that bass back to the store where you bought it and have it checked out. I've tried the GSR200 in stores several times and didn't find them noisy. Yhey're actually a pretty good bass. Something's wrong somewhere, and if you don't understand the technical jargon (and most guys don't) you're better off having a pro look at it.

I can think of a couple reasons why it might be making noise and I could check it out myself, but I've been around this stuff for over 40 years. If you're new at it, have it looked at by a tech.
  9. i havs a gsr200 myself and havent noticed any noise like you describe. i agree with the rest. have it looked a by a tech. but bring your amp and cable so they can look at it as a whole.