Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez GSR200: New J-pickup suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TehFlyingFrog, Dec 18, 2005.

1. I've been using my Ibanez GSR200 for a few years with a Fender Lace Sensor P-pickup in the neck position and the original pickup by the bridge. The stock J-pickup has a great tone, but there's a lot of buzz when the tone is cranked. I'd like to find a good bridge-position J-style pickup that won't require too much electrical modding (the Lace Sensor is wired funkily enough). I'm angling towards a funky, burpy tone a'la Jaco. What would you suggest? Also, if you have an estimate, please post prices. Thanks!!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Lots of J pup reviews in FAQ and Jaco tone threads from a TB search. Also google search "pickup reviews"

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I got a DiMarzio J pickup for mine, and it wouldnt fit. Keep that in mind when shopping around. Apparently the bridge pup that comes stock is not a standard size and may require a quick routing job to drop in a stock J replacement. I wish they were standard like computer components hehe.

4. How much routing would be required? Just a little shaving around the edges, or any kind of deepening of the hole?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

that's so with the older ones, don't know about the new later "active" versions. A standard bridge J won't drop but is almost close enough to be pounded in with a hammer.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can as easily be not what you want as what you want in swapping pups out. There are other factors besides pups invovled.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cranked" but you may just be able to back off the bass volume a bit and turn the amp up to get a liveable situation.

Not sure what you meant by the Sensors installed Funky enough but that may be part of the source of your hum, may not. I'm not sure if the Ibe's J's were single or HB but seems they had a darker HB tone to them. Might be worth looking into cause they shouldn't hum if they're HBs.

6. I'm pretty sure they're not HB's. The humming has been there since before I put in the Lace Sensor, so that shouldn't be a factor. I guess I need some kind of HB, then.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the routings were a little too narrow and not quite long enough, about a strong 1/16".

There are lot's of J HB's. Used you can pick them off ebay for about $40 for a bridge only. If you don't want hum there's no point in buying a true single coil. Personally I'll take the hum if it gets me the tone.

8. Alright, it doesn't sound like too much of a routing job. I'll do some research into J-buckers, then. Thanks!