1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez GSR200 Opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rarbass, Sep 18, 2008.

1. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Not sure if any other thread has been posted about this bass, but...

I've had my Ibanez GSR200 for awhile now. People say it's a beginner bass, and effectively it was for me as well. But couldn't it pass for use with pros as well? I mean I don't think I've ever seen a pro using one, probably because they can afford a lot better basses, but basically I guess this post is to just hear different opinions on the GSR200.

So what do you guys think of this bass?

2. myro255

myro255

Apr 13, 2007
    I own a Warwick Streamer and a Fender standard with dimarzios and the GSR 200 is my cheapest bass, picked it up from a little music store for 100$.

i can NOT stop raving about this bass in other topics on this site. the preamp on htis brings the output way over the passive fender and almost as loud as the Wick. the bass has 2 year old strings on it, as dead as can be, and i can get the snappiest tone from it too. also the neck is more comfortable than both the fender and the wick IMO and its not bad looking at all (i have it in the red see-through finish). the entire bass feels like it weighs nothing at all, a far cry from the backbreaking wick and the awkward balance of the fender.

my first bass was a squire jazz and that costs twice as much as this, but this is easily 3 times as good.

3. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I owned a GSR200 briefly. It was good for the money. I got mine used for $115 I think it was, and it had a flamed top and blue finish. Kinda wish I still had it.

I don't know why you couldn't use it as a pro instrument if you wanted to. Some pros use Squier and SX, why not GSR200? Be the first.

4. myro255

myro255

Apr 13, 2007
    what the hell happened, i didnt mean to post 3 times :p

5. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I owned the 5 string version (the 205); it's a good choice for the buck: the tone is nice, the neck is very comfortable. You can upgrade the electronics and you'll end up with a reliable beater. Yes, it's more of a beginner bass, but I've owned a lot of Ibbys in the past 3 years and I loved the GSR for its simplicity and overall nice tone & looks as much as my EDBs or SRs. Keep in mind that a good tone comes mostly from your hand...and a good bassist sounds cool on any bass he might pick up.

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think it might be the best bass for the money of all time.

7. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I've taken over my Daughter's GSR200 while She's in the military. Really sweet little bass. Sounds very agressive with Rotosound 66s.

8. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Ive had mine for 2 yrs now. I put active P-J EMG's into it a yr ago - sounds awesome!

9. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've been playing for about 13 years now and I own a GSR200 bought it a few years ago and its even been gigged a few times. for the cash it is a great bass and with a little upgrade work it has the potential to be a killer bass

10. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I totally agree. When I first got into playing the bass a few moinths back I got a red GSR200 used for 150 bucks. It is a 2003 model but looks like it was made yesterday. I changed the strings to Rotosound Swing Bass 66's Long Scale in the gauge 45-105 and personally I think the strings woke this thing right up. The tone is awesome considering how cheap it is. I believe its the best beginners bas for the money out there right now. I am looking to upgrade to a SR500 pretty soon.

11. RDW

RDW Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    RDU
    Great bass for the money. I recently sold mine to a co-worker who is learning to play bass guitar - though from what she tells me, her daughter has claimed it as hers....

12. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    I also have the 205 5 string and LOVE it...I had another post on here a while back about playing cheap vs expensive basses....I have a Marcus Miller 4 string, and I play the cheap 5er more than the $800 Marcus...Don't get me wrong, the Marcus sounds really good, but the 205 is more compfy to me.
    Drop a few hundred in some nice PUPs, add some cool 80's airbrush tricked out design on it and rock it :bassist:

13. I own the GSR200 has a back up now. It was the bass i learned on. I keep it tuned DADG. I get great tone out of it and use it for faster songs. I love the neck I think it's nicer than my MIM Fender Jazz.

14. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I personally have an SR500 (among others) and recently was trying out basses for a friend. I played the the GSR200 for quite a while. It was hard to put down since it had great action (off the shelf at GC no less!), a really punchy sound, and a very comfy neck. Nothing really to fault on it at all.

It's really a great bass by any measure. Although I doubt one would last for many years of hard gigging. It would be perfect for the hobbyist or occassional gigger though.

15. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    I have the little brother, the GSR190, with passive electronics. it's not bad, sounds nice with a good amp, I'll be defretting it in a year maybe

16. You can't go wrong with one of those basses, I've played shows with I think 3 or 4 hardcore bands who all used them and they just sound amazing, a couple of these bands were touring too, so you know it's a road tested warrior. I have a GSR100 the one below the 200, got it used for 60 bucks, and it's a freakin workhorse, I used it 2 winters ago all winter long for every out of state show, same strings the whole time and it rawked................

17. Jamasaurus

Jamasaurus

Sep 10, 2007
    Naples, FL
    It was my first bass and I fell in love with it from the moment I pulled it out of the box. Unfortunately I sold it off to finance my Geddy, but it will always hold a special place in my heart...:)

18. I owned one and sold it only because I didn't like the thin neck...great sound and quality for a beginner bass.

19. I love the thin neck. I like how it sounds so good yet feels like air.

20. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    It's funny, everything I love about this bass has been posted here. While I still prefer the SR305, the GSR200 is incredibly light, gets great, punchy tone, and it sounds great overall.

Thanks for the opinions! My only dislike is the exposed pickups, which I wouldn't mind getting covers for.