1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez GSR200 or ESP LTD B-50?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexhutu, Oct 10, 2013.

1. alexhutu

alexhutu

Oct 10, 2013
    I want to start learning to play the bass and I was looking at a few entry-level instruments. Can you help me pick between the Ibanez GSR200 and the ESP LTD B-50? I'd like to hear some upsides/downsides for both.

I should note that I am left-handed.

Also, I need an amp and I am looking at the Marshall MB15, is that good?

Thanks!

2. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I've owned both. TBH the B-50 is (or at least mine was) built rock solid and held very well in rough touring conditions. But I liked the GSR200 more - it sounded better and was more comfortable to play. Though keep in mind both basses are entry level - don't expect too much from an instrument in this price range.

3. alexhutu

alexhutu

Oct 10, 2013
    Thank you, or should I say, mulțumesc. Actually, I've already ordered the Ibanez seeing that I didn't get any replies here and that it was easier to find in Romania (as you should already know).
    This is going to be my first bass, as I said, and I don't think I'm going to upgrade anytime soon.

Off topic: Do you know any bass tab resources for Romanian rock music, except from tabulaturi.ro?

4. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Well back then I ordered my B-50 from Thomann.

TBH it's not a good idea to buy new - especially in RO.

I don't know about tabs for Romanian rock music specifically, but you can always try: http://www.xbass.ro/ - IMO the best resource for bass around these parts. Plus you can talk to the bassists of your fav RO bands directly on forums ;)

5. I play my GSR200 on stage w/our church band and have had nothing but compliments on the sound. I'm sure you can buy better sounding gear (someone always has bigger/better...) but it is respectable. I have owned mine for 7 years and the only problem was a broken tuning key (easily replaced). The bass is light enough to wear for a couple hours, is capable of a variety of sounds, and the neck is comfortable to play. The bass is good to learn on, and good enough to gig. It should last you for as long as you want it to.