Ibanez GSR200 or Yamaha RBX 170 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004

I am a newbie looking to start the bass guitar. I have been doing some research on these forums and it seems either the Ibanez GSR200 or Yamaha RBX 170 is the way to go. Which do you think would be more ideal for someone looking to join a DEATH METAL band? Could either of these hold up in a metal band or on stage?

I could spend up to about $350 max. I could spend more but I don't want to invest a bunch of money into a bass until I know *** im doing.
  2. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Also, should I get a 4 string or a 5 string bass?
  3. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    go ibanez. i believe thats what the bassist from dying Fetus uses. You know who that is don't you? he doesnt use the Gsr200 though
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I belive the consesus is, both are good basses for the money. I suggest you try to play both and see which one sounds good for you.

I can personally recomend the Ibanez GSR200, it was my first bass.
  5. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i just want to say that both dying fetus and funeral for a friend (since your name is juneau im guessing its in reference to them) both rock.

i am incidentely about to try both of these basses tomorrow afternoon, i'll tell you which i'd recommend better after that
  6. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Thanks Kyo, I'll be waiting. Should I get a 4 or 5 stringed bass for death metal?
  7. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    well it depends. i personally like 4 strings way better, they're just more comfortable. however, alot of the heavier bands like to use 7 string guitars. if thats your situation then its possible to play along with a 4 string with some serious downtuning, however it'd be way easier to use a 5er.

basically 5s are much more versatile, can do anything 4 can do and more. but IMO 4's are more comfortable. however since you're new to bass, you may be better off getting a 5 right off the bat, and not have to get used to it all over again.
  8. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Well the Ibanez has a PHAT knob :eek:

That's an extra feature for you to play with then.
  9. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey

I know that's a longish thread, but a member there has a simlar dilemma. He mostly plays metal (he mentions influences being bands like Mayhem) and he's considering the Yamaha RBX.

Personally, I'd just go for the one that feels most comfortable in your hands both seated and strapped. Everyone's hands and minds are different. If you were to ask me, I'd probably go with the Yamaha over the Ibanez since I prefer the feel of Yamaha's neck profiles to Ibanez's neck profiles. However, others may prefer the feel of Ibanez' neck profiles (which I think are a love it/hate it affair.)

Some of Peavey's basses may be worth considering, like the Millenium BXP or the Fury. I believe the bassist in Lamb of God uses Peaveys. (Yeah, okay LoG are 'mainstream' metal these days but they're certainly heavier than nu-metal bands like Static-X and Adema.)

ESP's LTD line has some nice starter basses and they're a brand widely reknowned in metal circles. The F104 has active elctronics and a 35" scale, which is great if you want to detune without the strings flopping too much. Dig the body shape too- it's 'metal' without being cheeseball. ESP/LTD basses are reputed to be well-made. I was heavily considering an LTD for a spell.

Or there is always buying preowned. You might get a better deal on a preowned higher end bass than a brand new starter bass.

It's much easier to change the tone than the playability. Upgrading the pickups, fiddling with your amp settings, using effects pedals can work as fixes for tone. But if the bass is uncomfortable to play and just doesn't "feel" right, there's no quick fix for that. You're not going to want to play a bass all night that's uncomfortably heavy and/or causes hand fatigue or, god forbid, hand pain. On the other hand, a heavy bass made from hard woods would probably take dings and dents better than a lighter one and given how crazy metal shows can get...
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I recommend the Yamaha. Yamaha is great when it comes to low end basses. I recently considered the RBX170 because it has a monster slap tone. The bass is very light and could use a touch more bottom. I think the inexpensive wood (agathis) compromises the tone just a bit. That said, it is very well put together with a full two octave neck. The finishing on the frets is a bit sharp, but that is to be expected in this price range.
  11. Well I don't know much about death metal but when I bought my first bass about a year ago I chose the Yamaha. I don't remember too much so you should ask somebody who has one but I recall there being a problem with the Ibanez having way too much buzzing on the strings so you should probally check that out. When it comes down to it you should really just get what feels right for you.
  12. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
  13. I recommend going for the 5 string, I personally love them in comparison to 4 stringers, my band is a mix of death/black/prog metal or whatever and I use a 5 string, whenever I play my foursting it feels too empty

if you end up choosing the 5, go for the yamaha,
    if you go for the 4 I'd say choose the ibanez