1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez GSR200 refinish ideas

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Anarchyok, Jul 24, 2007.

1. I've wanted to do something to my GSR200 (black) as i'd defretted the neck with good results, but the body was boring me. Since it's really just a throw around bass, I'm not too scared of breaking it/ruining it.

I decided the other day to strip the black paint off the body - on went the paint stripper and i started scraping....to find some kind of resin material covering the whole bass body. Paint stripper won't touch it.

a) do i try and sand through it?
    b) do i leave the bass with paint on the edges, and resin and paint residue on the top, cover it in stickers and join a punk band?
    c) respray as resin will be too hard to move.
    d) any other options...

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If you'd done a bit of reading the other threads you would have been warned about this. That's the dreaded bullet proof factory coating and it's impervious to any stripper I've ever used. Doesn't even dull the finish. A couple guys claim there is a stripper that will remove it, but unless I try it I won't believe it.

There are two ways to get it off--
    1-a heat gun and scraper and you melt it off

2-sanding with 40 grit sandpaper until you get it off.

The heat gun works faster for me, but you should work outdoors because of the noxious fumes, and there will still be a bit of sanding to do after you've removed most of the finish. Then put on the finish of your choice.

I don't know if you could get a nice level surface now that you've taken off some of it. You probably will have to go down to bare wood.

The most amount of work is the prep work. But spraying on a perfect finish (or brushing or wiping it on for that matter) is a tough trick without experience. You might want to do all the prep work yourself then take it to someone to spray on a good looking finish.

3. thanks for the info!

I did it on a whim and im not too dissapointed that it hasn't really worked. It actually looks kinda cool in a half stripped state.

I should have done a search first, but I'm really doing this as something to do and practise on, rather than hoping for a great finished product!

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Sure, no harm in that if you don't have high expectations. The GSR is an inexpensive bass although good for the price. It's probably not worth it to really spend some time and money on unless you're absolutely in love with it.

5. yeh i'm not to fussed...its number 5 bass in the arsenal so i'll live if I ruin it! Gonna hit it with an industrial sander later this week mwahahhah

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    If you are refinishing, especially stain and clear coat on bare wood, the advice you receive from 62bass is about as good as it gets.

Some thoughts on the GSR 200. The body is made of Agathis. Much like most Alders, Poplars, and Bass wood, the grain in this wood is not very striking or attractive. Dying or staining the wood will usually reveal a rather boring, non-descript pattern. OTOH, if the bullet-proof undercoat is in good shape, it is an excellent substrate on which to shoot the finish of your choice. It is also easy to repair if it has some chips or scratches. For instructions on making these kinds of repairs, search "drop fill" on this site.

Choice is yours. Good luck.