1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez GSR200 - which strings??? help needed...!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stgabhas, Oct 5, 2010.

1. stgabhas

stgabhas

Oct 5, 2010
    Iowa
    hello all,
    I am new here and new to playing bass. I just bought a GSR200 (the early one, with 3 knobs).
    I was to change the strings and was looking for it online.
    which string do you recommend me,
    i saw different one,

Dean Markley Blue Steel 4-String ML 2674 Bass Guitar Strings (.045-.105)

61cfoF1Y1ML._AA160_.jpg
    41UkGVjWElL._AA160_.jpg
    61%2B3mWIIZAL._AA160_.jpg
    51F2VT9L5ZL._AA160_.jpg
    51BDYQaxgcL._AA160_.jpg

thank you..

2. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    It's difficult to make a recommendation for you with so little information. If you specified what type of music you'll be playing, what kind of sound you're after, that might help narrow things down.

That said, the GSR200 has a tendency to sound and feel a bit rough. Some flats like D'Addario Chromes might help smooth things out a bit. But that might not be ideal for what you're looking to do.

3. stgabhas

stgabhas

Oct 5, 2010
    Iowa
    i basically like the warm bass tone... i'll be basically playing blues lines...

actually i was concerned about the tension from the heavy string, which string is good for the neck, so that it wont wrap it.. i hope you get me..
    thanks for the help..

4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I had a set of medium Chromes on mine for a long time. D' Addario 165's now. The Chromes really sounded nice.

5. rad87gn

rad87gn

Sep 17, 2007
    rad87gn
    I use the green pack 105 Slinkeys.

6. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    I have a set of D'Addario Chromes on mine and they are very warm-sounding and smooth to play. No tension problems whatsoever; I didn't even have to tweak the action (YMMV).

7. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    The only thing that matters is whether you are allergic to nickel or not, the rest is just a matter of trial and error. If you are allergic to nickel (like about 10% of the world's population), use stainless steel strings. Any set would sound good.

8. stgabhas

stgabhas

Oct 5, 2010
    Iowa
    Thanks guys..
    I guess I am going with Ernie ball regular .. 50 70 85 105..
    No I'm not allergic to nickel.. ;)

9. I recomend getting DR HI Beams, they cost a little more but sound a lot better.

10. stgabhas

stgabhas

Oct 5, 2010
    Iowa
    thanks.. i saw it, nice...
    but i already bought the Ernie Ball 2832 Regular Slinky Round Wound Bass Strings ... next time now.. ;)

11. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    for gsr200, best strings are warwick red label 105-45.
    cheap and great sounding on that bass. just keep em fresh, replace them at least once a month, do a good setup and play. those sr200's are great basses for the $.

about DR's , yeah they are good, i did try them on gsr200, but IMHO red labels sounded the best.

here is how them reds sound
    http://www.box.net/shared/sklu9glpsm

just straight in mic in on PC, no preamp/EQing, nothing. i think it was 100%neck, 80% bridge pickup.

12. stgabhas

stgabhas

Oct 5, 2010
    Iowa
    actually i that order was canceled, so now i still have to order one,
    how about Dean Markley Blue Steel 4-String ML 2674 Bass Guitar Strings (.045-.105)
    any suggestions on that one.
    thanks

13. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    any stainless 45-105 will do just fine
    that bass just loves steel.