Ibanez GSR200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanFoster, Aug 29, 2004.

1. DanFoster

Aug 29, 2004
    I've been playing bass with my P-Bass for about a year now, and I'd like to try something new. I've looked at the Ibanez GSR200s and like the look, have'nt had a chance to go in and try one but i plan on doing so soon, in the mean-time can anyone give me their opinion about the GSR200?

2. DanFoster

Aug 29, 2004
  3. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Can't go wrong for the price, they sound really good live & have a sweet bottom-rounded recorded growl. As always, if you can, check out the neck & before you buy it. I was going to grab one for practice meanwhile my L-2000 was getting built.
  4. birdy

birdy Guest

Aug 30, 2004
    I have one and it's not bad for the price. It's my first bass though so my opinion doesn't have much weight. I've had 6 string geetars for years though so I'm not totally ignorant ;) I wanted to get a bass that was playable but didn't lighten my bank account too much and this fit the bill just fine. I've had it about a year and still don't feel pressed to upgrade just yet.

5. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've had a GSR200 since I started playing about 3 years ago and I still se no need for a new bass. I love it sure there are better basses out there but most of them cost at least 4x as much and aren't better enough to justify the price. There is no better bass in that price range.
  6. DanFoster

Aug 29, 2004
    How is it as far as slapping?
  7. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    It's a slap champion. No really, it's no maple/ash Jazz but it does what it does for the price. It's still going to be the best sounding slapper for the money.
  8. I have a GSR200 as my first bass. Great bass for the money (cept I got mine for $80 around 1 year old). I defretted it and it still sounds really good. If you don't have much $$ to spend, I'd say go for it.
  9. FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    Ive had one of these basses for about 2 yrs now. This is a really great bass, I put stickers all over mine it looks like a billboard now haha. This bass if acquired with the right strings can give off a pretty decent slap sound, it is really goood for playing punky type stuff. Id'e reccomend it to any beginner or an advanced player that made the mistake of buying a ****ty squier as there first bass. :rollno:
  10. I think it sounds bad. I had a cheapo Samick that sounded much better and was cheaper. Fast neck, though, and seems well built. Maybe it'd be OK with an electronics upgrade.
  11. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    My daughter has had one for two years and they are great for the price. She plays a MIM jazz now but still uses it.Her GSR is more of a back up bass now.

It's reliable, pretty well built and sounds decent. IMHO I think it's the best entry level bass on the market.

The new ones have a bass boost knob that my daughters doesn't have and they price is the same.

For $200.00 you can't go wrong.

I think this bass is a step up from a Squire but if you are playing a MIM P-bass I don't see the need for this bass unless you are looking for a back up.
  12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have a SDGR 300 DX, a couple of steps up from that GSR, but I think its not that good of a bass.
    The tone is bad, and the electronics is even worse and the eq is outright unversatile. The body wood is nowhere a tone wood. The finish was also bad. At least there were no major faults with the setup and the CnC-ing of the body and the neck.

If you have a P, then you have way more tone than you will ever get from it.
  13. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    As most have said, it is a great bass for it's price. It was my first bass also. I gigged with it for a few months without any major problems. As far as minor problems, there was sometimes a 60 cycle buzz unless I kept my hands touching the strings, the tone control did little to change the sound and the pickups did not seem to handle the open E well at all. Still I loved it and it is what I cut my teeth on. It has a great sentimental value for me as a result. My next bass after that was a 2001 Fender MIA P bass (425.00 on Ebay)The tonal difference was such a step up that I thought I had died and gone to bass heaven.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you heard the one with the new preamp?
  15. Hmm... Isn't the GSR200 passive? :confused:
  16. embellisher

Not any more. I read the Bass Player review, and thought that they had been smoking too much crack. Then I checked out a couple of the new ones at GC. Smokin' little lightweight bass for the price!
  17. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i didnt read anything except the first post.

all im going to say is this. ibanez, biggest peice of **** i ever bought. i even had one of the high end ones,(not the flagship line, but the sr800). the feel was bad, the bass was way small, the sound sucked, the wood quality is bad(crappy wood) and the finish was nice, but still, it was a pos.

everyone i know who has had one, has hated it.

look at pawn shops. i found a late 90's p-bass for 400 bucks. tho i didnt buy it cause i hate used ****, it was a great sale/.
  18. Oh, maybe the preamp helps. I'm pretty sure the one I tried was passive, and it sounded baaaaad. :meh:

I prefer older Ibanezes. My guitar player has a RoadStar II and it rocks!
  19. embellisher

Pretty strong words. I have an SR506 that is almost ten years old. It is not as tonally versatile as my more expensive basses. But it has a decent B string, and a great slap tone. For the price I paid for it, back in the day, it was a decent six string.

FWIW, an SR800 is not a high end Ibanez. That is a mid priced, Korean bass with Korean electronics. The high end Ibanez basses are made in Japan and sometimes the USA, and have much better electronics.

So don't judge a Prestige model or a BTB 1000 series by your experience with a mid priced Ibanez.
  20. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I have a mint GSR200 with a gig bag that I picked up this spring. I was in GC and picked it up and ended up buying it. I'm willing to part with it if you're interested. $120 shipped. I got a new MM S.U.B. 5 last week.