ibanez gsr200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by retitled, Jan 3, 2005.

1. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
  2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I don't know what "phat 2" is but get this bass man. If your just starting out, $90 is a STEAL! I bought mine for $200, and i'll tell you, it has some mad growl, the best starter bass you can buy especially. But you can't beat that for $90! Get the red one too!
  3. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    lol im not really a beginer :p well okay maybe i am, a year or so. but my current bass isnt any better damned Cort :p

yea my friend is selling it. he has a black one :) my current bass is red thoug
  4. I bought Stephen's (above) for $80 from him when I first started out. Killer bass. I defretted it and it's still running strong.
  5. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Bass Player reviewed that bass and gave it very high marks. My experience with that magazine is that they make really good calls when it comes to gear. Take it from there.
  6. Oh, and just to clear something up, the one Stephen Soto and I are talking about is one of the older ones. The newer ones have another knob now (vol, vol, tone, tone? maybe? I'm not sure), but I've heard that the new ones are pretty much just as good.
  7. PHAT II appears to be some sort of active tone control. Just a fancy marketing name for an active tone knob.
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

there's a million reviews at harmonycentral.com. I like them for lots of reasons and have a wall of them - routed with different pups but the stock pups are more to my liking than most aftermarket pups.

For that kind of coin, you should have no trouble making money on it.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I bought one back in the day also. It's a perfectly fine bass....until you start hanging around here. :)

Seriously....I played it for about a year, and it was great.

10. plsh

Jun 27, 2004
    I just purchased one today(a 2004 model with active pups). I traded in my OLP MM5(needed a set-up and new nut) which I just couldn't get used too because the neck was so wide and it seemed unbalanced, and could not get rid of a buzz.Maybe I got a lemon since I purchased that used as well.

Anyway I paid 130.00 with the trade in and I'll be damned if thats not the best 130.00 bucks I ever spent, seriously. This things a steal! Beutiful finish(mines the red one) the sound and set up are awesome, no flaws.

I'm primarily a guitar player and so I wasn't looking to spend a whole lot of money, Once again this things a total steal.
  11. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    I've got a 2002 or 2003 model i get some really get tones out of mine, obviously you'll notice it's not amazing but the value is exceptional and these new ones with this phat thing probably make it even better. I usually have my bridge pickup on full and dial in the p to beef it up.
    Although as with any bass it depends how you play it, i can go from smooth uprightish tone to punchy to growl just by changing how and where i hit the strings, this is because with both pickups on full it doesn't cut many frequencies so it allows your hands to do the work.
    The best thing about this is you won't want to upgrade quickly so when you finally do you can go on to something real sweet and not get something because your bass sounds boring. When i do get something new I might make it my "flatwound" bass or possibly fretless.