Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez GSR200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DrunkenJoker84, May 11, 2001.

1. DrunkenJoker84

DrunkenJoker84

May 11, 2001
    I am thinking about buying a new ibanez gsr200. its only 250, but im on kind of a budget here. i just wanted to know if they are any good or not.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    From person experince: check it before buying. Some are good, some REALLY stink...if you get a god one, like I did, they're a nice little bass. If you get bad one, it's not worth the paper the money is printed on.

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I have one of those good ibanez gsr200s. it's worth every bit of the $180 i paid at gc. Mine is transparent red. A different one that I tried at gc had really cheap knobs that were about to fall off but mine was set up really nice, and i didn't need to get a setup. The pickups are decent, good tone with both pickups on full, but I plan on getting quarter pounders at some point.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've yet to play one I thought was worth it.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Angus: DUH! It's cheapy bass. Course it's not really worth it. But if your trying to get in, you don't always have the dough for something better.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I meant worth the $200 bucks.

7. Yeah, ive played some i liked, some i hated. i love mine. The neck feels great. its thin and smooth and i can easily move up and down it. its good for $200, thats all i would ever pay for. if they are making you pay $250 for it, you might as well save up $300 go for a MIM P or J.

8. Ive played one before. It wasnt that impressive. It felt too light. But that was after having played a couple hours with a 15 pound jazz bass. I wasnt a fan of the small neck because I have large hands. It felt cramped. It sounded alright. I just liked and bought a Jazz bass.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    best advice i can offer you is to save up more money and try to buy a better bass than that. may take you a little while longer, but in the long run youd probobly be much happier. remember ya get what ya pay for and they are $200 for a reason.

10. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    If your new to playing, theres nothing wrong with getting one.

I finally stopped saying "i'd like to play bass someday", and actually went out and bought one and started taking lessons. I picked out the Ibanez starter package because it had everything I needed to get started, but not spend a fortune. There was no way I was going to drop a grand on an expensive bass and then let it sit in the corner and collect dust in case I sucked or didnt like playing.

As it turned out, I enjoy playing (jury is still out on the suck part) and I love my gsr200. It does have a thin neck, perfect for a beginner. Its just fine for now, although i'm sure i'll buy a better bass when I start gigging.

fisk

11. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I have a gsr200. It is a great bass to learn on, but after 4 months i want a new one. But credit to ibanez as i would only replace it with a £925 music man bass cause most basses around the £400 - £500 pound wouldn't must of an improvment. (Apart from a mexican fender jazz bass)

12. Hmmmm......I have the GSR190,which is one step/model below the GSR200.OK bass for a beginner but you would be better off adding a bit of $ and getting a Fender MIM Jazz bass.Just my two cents worth.

13. I got a GSR 200, I personally would get a Squire instead of the GSR 200 (Mainly because of upgradability). I did end up getting another one after like 6 months (A MIA Fender). Try a lot of them out... they are different. Each one is different, I tried like 5 different ones, and each was different.

14. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    how is the Squier more upgradable than the Ibanez?

15. GandolfDBassist

GandolfDBassist

May 17, 2001
    US
    Hey, I have an Ibanez GSR-200 and its nice but it feels like somethin is missin so I got a Epiphone Les Paul Special 5 string I originally purchased my Ibanez brand new for 175.00 and now I just got the Epi for 249.00 brand new with all paperwork (retail 800.00). So you can get the Ibanez but I think you will feel somethins missin too so my reconmendation is to look around even check out Ebay but the GSR-200 is good for a begginer but it will grow old quickly.

16. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    you get what you pay for, a good beginners bass.
    but, check out the Squire series, and the Dean series, and the DeArmonds and the other low priced basses available and find the one YOU like the most.