1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez GSR205: Wiring Mod #1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bluesguy62, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Mod #1 is the first wiring mod I subjected my beloved GSR205 to after getting fed-up with the Phat II EQ. It's basically along the lines of a Fender Jazz Bass (2 volumes + 1 tone). The stock small (read: cheap and unreliable) pots have been replaced with full-sized Japanese pots, and the original .047µF tone cap with a .022µF cap. The GSR205 shown here belongs to a promising young bass player from Kuantan.

GSR205JB_CL.
    Here's the controls layout. A rubber plug has been used to fill the void left by the relocated neck pickup volume pot.

GSR205JB_CC001.
    One view of the control cavity. Volume pots are A500K, while the tone pot is an A250K.

GSR205JB_CC002.
    Another view of the control cavity.

GSR205JB_CC003.
    Closer view of the tone pot.

[​IMG]
    Here's the wiring diagram for Mod #1.

Thanks for reading this post :).

2. What software did you use to draw that diagram?

3. line6man, I used Edraw Mind Map [http://www.edrawsoft.com/freemind.php] and Adobe Photoshop 7 to draw the diagram. Edraw Mind Map is freeware, but Photoshop is not.

Using Edraw, one can insert any image as a background, and then trace over it as accurately as possible. Then, delete the background image, leaving just the tracing. Next, export the tracing as a bitmap and import into Photoshop. In Photoshop, one can then finalize the diagram.

Let's look at the diagram for Mod #1. The grey outlines were traced in Edraw. The 3D tone cap was created in Edraw using a real image of a cap as the background. The pickup leads and other wires were traced in Edraw as either straight or curved lines with specific thicknesses (one has to experiment). For the pickup leads, I used 3 layers: shield, hot, and black jacket (topmost). I used different colors for all the wires so that editing in Photoshop would be easier. Mind you, Edraw only creates solid wires.

In Photoshop, routs in the grey outline were created with a block eraser. Next, for shielding braid (pickup leads), I used the 'magic wand' to erase the color, and then filled it in with a sample from real wire braid. For all other wires (originally 1 solid color), I again used the 'magic wand' to erase the insides, and then stroked the outline (2px, center) to create the illusion of a white wire. It takes a long time, but it's worth it :).

4. Very nice work.

I don't have that kind of time though. I do mine in MS Paint.

5. MS Paint works well for me too. However, in this case, the lines came out too jagged so I decided to try something else. Thanks for your feedback. Well, if you ever find yourself with nothing to do, give Edraw a shot :)

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    bluesguy62, thanks for linking to the Edraw Mind Map. How do you like the tone now that it's fully passive?

Line6man, honestly, I never figured you did all that in Paint alone. Mad skills. *bows down*

I usually use Dia, since it's a vector editor and the export-to-PDF ability is superb.

7. Stealth, thanks for the feedback and the Dia link. I've bookmarked the site and will surely be downloading the software to try out. Looks promising :)

My GSR205 is actually into its 3rd mod. The 1st was replacing the tiny stock pots with full-sized Japanese ones. The 2nd was Mod #1, which really opened up the tone. However, in high gain live situations, the dreaded 'Jazz Bass Syndrome' has forced me to play with both volumes wide open; so as to cancel out noise and hum (thanks to the single coil pups).

So, due to a lack of finances to upgrade the stock pups with stacked humbuckers, I've been forced to go with Mod #2, which is basically master volume, master tone and 3-way toggle switch; inspired by the Yamaha BB1000MA.

Though I've lost the pup blending capability of Mod #1, the lack of hum and noise with Mod #2 is a great relief :) All said and done, my GSR205 is tonally richer as a passive instrument; without the hassles of the Phat II EQ. Thanks again, Stealth.

8. Hello everyone :). Mod #2 is the current wiring scheme of my beloved GSR205. It is basically inspired by the Yamaha BB1000MA, with a master volume, master tone and 3-way toggle switch for pickup selection.