Ibanez GSR206B or Rondo SX Ursa Six string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowFish, Dec 12, 2016.

1. LowFish

LowFish

Nov 8, 2014
    Coastal NC
    I know some of ya'll have Rondo six string basses and some have the Ibanez.
    There is about a $40.00 difference between the Rondo(the one that I am looking at) and the Ibanez--both under $300
    I have been looking into a sixer for a couple of years now just to play around with, something that would not break the bank but not be a total piece of crap. I personally think the Ibanez may be of a better build, but I know nothing about either brand. Any suggestions of a six string under $300.00 would be welcome, there may be some that are not on my radar.

2. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The only Ibanez bass I have is an ATK 305, which is a bit of a departure from most ibby's, I believe.

The SX Ursa 2 6es are a great value, if you're after a passive vibe, and if you're not you can always put a pre in one. I mod mine with a series/parallel switchpot in the tone position which add some range to its tones.

Best for YOU depends entirely on what you want.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Like Dabbler I have 3.5 SX 6 string basses. Of course I ALSO have a GSR206 and an SR506. SX were new, Ibbies were both used and all basses cost about the same. My all-time favorite of this herd is my SX 6er Modded with ebony blank plank fretless fingerboard. Just too cool for words! (avatar) Number two is my SR506. Has everything you want in an active 6 string. 24 frets, thin fast neck, workmanship and rock the house tone! It is very similar to my GSR206 except that the 206 doesn't have 24 frets and has a slight problem with the pickups being even across the strings. You need to boost lows and highs a tad to bring up the B and C strings. However, I can't bring myself to sell it because I like the tone of it even better than my SR506. Go figure.

Bottom line in this choice is whether you want an old school passive Fender clone tone in a 6er or a more modern, fat, active kind of thing. My solution (this is TB, remember) was to own BOTH kinds! :)

I typically mod all my SX with a rotary switch giving Mute, neck only, Neck/bridge series, Neck/Bridge parallel, Bridge only instead of the dual volumes which I find too big a pain to adjust on the fly.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022