1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez GVB36/1006

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Nov 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Has anyone played Ibanez's GVB (Gerald Veasley signature) basses, and if so, how was the string spacing for you?

I primarily play with a pick, and think the 14mm spacing would be fine (even preferred). However I've never tried it. The narrowest I've played is 16.5mm, but even playing fingerstyle, I wouldn't mind it being a bit narrower.

Thanks.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I have no idea for playing with a pick, but it's tight for sure.

3. Thanks Thomas, did you pay any hammer-ons / pull-offs on it? I'm curious if they're any harder to execute.

Thomas Kievit likes this.
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I got it (sure the MII GVB36) and I gotta tell ya it's the only 6er I keep

I've had many in the past, and all of'em were more than 14mm strin' spacin'

1st of all I dig 34" scale, and better if with monorail bridge: GVB36 has it all

even if it's active only, its alder body with thick flamed maple top grant sort of a traditional flavor, fueled by Bartolini import passive soapbars and a very useful (IMHO) three band active eq with midswitch set at 250hz (pushed) or 600hz (pulled).

the contrast look of cosmo black volume and panpot with black plastic three band active eq knobs gives sort of a Marcus Muller signature bass vibe, infact the tone is not that far at all so, even if slap it's the hardest part on it, tight string spacin' make it for easeness in fast pace forays and chords

great bass to me

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Thanks for the detailed review!

I really like Ibanez SR basses, but to find out this bass is about 10.5mm narrower at the last fret is a huge benefit. I like pretty narrow/thin neck necks so finding a 6'er with such a thin neck in a 34" scale is perfect.

My 4 string at hopme is down to 17mm, and I just realized it must taper into 14mm somewhere up the neck, so when I get home tonight I'll try it out.

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    They were easy for me actually, I have small hands. Personally I love thick(er) necks like the BTB series since they help me improve playing. I have to say that I'm not really the kind of person that takes a (critic) look to string spacing, as long as the neck feels good. It does feel a bit weird to play, since the neck is as thin as a guitar neck. The JEM guitar (Steve Vai signature) has the same neck thickness as the GVB1006 / 36.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    Matthew_84 likes this.
  7. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I had one and really liked the spacing. Will probably get another one some day.

IMHO, it does need at least a preamp change to sound really good.

Stefan Verbeeck and Matthew_84 like this.
  8. Thanks again Thomas. Yeah, I think I'll really agree with the thinner neck (I don't like thicker necks myself). It's just may be a little hard for me to try before ordering, so that's why I'm looking for opinions.

This part worried me, but I looked into it and thankfully the GVB neck is a *little* thicker and wider than a seven string JEM guitar.

Here's a JEM7V7 (seven string):
    - Width at Nut: 48mm
    - Width at Last Fret: 68mm
    - Thickness at 1st: 19mm
    - Thickness at 12th: 21mm
    - Radius: 430mmR

And here's the GVB-36:
    - Width at Nut: 54mm
    - Width at Last Fret: 72.5mm
    - Thickness at 1st: 19.5mm
    - Thickness at 12th: 21.5mm
    - Radius: 305mmR

My main concern was that it was a similar size to a 6 string guitar, but to see it's just a little wider than a 7 string is fine... I think I just need to get my hands on one to be certain.

Thomas Kievit likes this.
  9. Thanks. Yeah, I've read this too about the electronics... It's okay though, I was planning on doing one anyway (I really want a 4-band EQ with this bass). I'm also open to doing a pickup swap depending on how they sound.

10. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Usually Nordstrand fit perfectly in Bart mk1 shoes but they tend to be completely different sonically
    Sound of the body is really brilliant and trebley on the GVB so as Bart soapbars are reknown to be pretty mellow and dark, I personallky consider it a good compromise

I know orginal MIJ GVB1006 has an Aguilar OPB3 preamp that switches between 800hz (pushed) and 400hz (pulled) midfreq but its characteristics are mostly the huge power of it all, again, balanced by US Barts, even darker than import mk1 so, keepin' in mind the bright character of the body, pay good attention to upgrades you're after

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. Good tips right here! Thank you!

12. Tiavarone

Tiavarone

Nov 18, 2015
    None
    I just bought one used from guitar center online as a price drop. It is the 5th sixer I've owned. It is definitely a keeper and I have to say an awesome bass. The neck is really fast and makes me want to play it like no other bass I've had in a long time. String spacing at the nut end is pretty normal but thin compared to my (now sold) btb1006. It is close to my USA Peavey Cirrus 6. Gvb36 spacing at the bridge is a little tight but easy to get used to. My former btb1006 had overly wide spacing ~18.5mm. (I think). Peavey is ~16.5. I love the peavey- bought it in 2000 and will never sell it.

If you are seriously considering the gvb36- I've seen various blogs bashing the preamp mostly because the pots are so sensitive off center. Mine, though used, looked brand new and had obviously never had a setup. Looked as if it had never been played. Buzzy action all up the neck, bridge saddles were all the way back, pickups were very high and produced a cold distorted tone. Lowering the pickups fixed the sensitivity issue with the pots and produced a nice warm sound. I think gvb36's are special order only and my guess is that the factory isn't setting them up, they get to the dealer and the buyer gets it in a box. Probably how mine ended up back on the market.

13. That's a bummer. I'd really need to try one of these out in person before buying it...

I am also kind of losing my desire to get a 6 string. I didn't want a 6'er tuned B-C, I actually wanted it to tune from F# to G, but I'm starting to think that I don't really want or need that low F# string.

14. Check this out guys:

GVB1006
    SPECS
    - neck type: GVB 3pc Maple/Wenge neck
    - body: Figured Maple top/Alder body
    - fretboard: Rosewood fretboard w/Abalone oval inlay
    - fret: Medium frets w/Prestige fret edge treatment
    - number of frets: 24
    - bridge: Mono-rail IV bridge (14mm string spacing)
    - neck pickup: Bartolini® P45C-B neck pickup (Passive)
    - bridge pickup: Bartolini® P45C-T bridge pickup (Passive)
    - equalizer: Aguilar® OBP-3 preamp w/Mid frequency selector (push/pull)
    - hardware: color Cosmo black

VS

GVB36
    SPECS
    - neck type: GVB 3pc Maple neck
    - body: Flamed Maple top/Alder body
    - fretboard: Rosewood fretboard w/Abalone oval inlay
    - fret: Medium frets
    - number of frets: 24
    - bridge: Mono-rail IV bridge (14mm string spacing)
    - neck pickup: Bartolini® MK1 neck pickup (Passive)
    - bridge pickup: Bartolini® MK1 bridge pickup (Passive)
    - equalizer: EQB-IIISP 3 band eq w/Mid frequency selector (push/pull)
    - hardware: color Cosmo black

Is the 1006 worth $5000 for a reinforced Wenge neck, fancier top, fret treatment, better pickups and preamp?
    You can just buy pickups and preamp for the 36 and save substantial amounts of money.
    The only IMPORTANT concern in my opinion is the Wenge strip in the 1006 supposedly really helps stabilize the neck with all the tension from the 6 strings.
    That alone could be a deal breaker with the 36.

Opinions???

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  15. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    There are countless perfectly stable six-string necks out there without the wenge strip.

16. Most other six string basses don't have a guitar-size, slim, neck profile with 14mm string spacing. That's the whole point of adding the wenge to this specific bass. I'm wondering if the 36 would be too unstable just with maple.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  17. NateMan

NateMan

Jul 17, 2008
    Palm Coast FL
    I have the 36 and have to say that the neck feels as stable as any Ibby Ive owned which are a few. I have replaced the pickups with true Barts and soon the preamp with an OP3 setup. I have no experience with the 1006 but so far my 36 plays, feels and sounds and least twice than what I have in it!

18. The Basstard

The Basstard Puttin' the "ass" in "Basstard". Supporting Member

I own both models. The GVB36 has two truss rods. The GVB1006 has a single truss rod. The wenge strip was added to the 1006 reinforce the neck in order maintain the slim profile that Gerald Veasley was wanting. So, the neck stability on both models is just fine, IME. With the extra truss rod comes extra weight on the 36, however.

With regard to the string spacing, I love it! The 1006 is by far the most comfortable 6 string I have ever played. I'm not a slapper so I can't comment on how the spacing works for slapping. I suppose, as with most things, that depends on one's personal playing style.

As for the disparity in cost between the two models, I look at it this way; it's like comparing a Fender Custom Shop bass with a MIM Fender. Both instruments are going to have very similar specs but the quality of parts and craftsmanship are going to be much higher on the custom shop bass (at least they SHOULD be, lol!). Yes, the GVB1006 and GVB36 are VERY similar but I think it would be more appropriate to compare the 1006 to other basses in it's price range (Dingwall, MTD, Warwick, etc.) when trying to determine whether the bass is worth the price tag. I own several higher end basses and as far as I'm concerned the 1006 is on par with all of them (better in some cases).

The differences between the 1006 and the 36 are slight but, to me, significant. For example, it's surprising how much difference a couple of millimeters can make to the feel of a neck profile. The neck on the GVB36 is great but the neck on the GVB1006 is amazing!

The intrinsic value of a bass (or anything else for that matter) is highly subjective. For my money, the GVB1006 is worth it when compared to other basses in it's class. The GVB36 is also a fine instrument - very similar features and tone for considerably less cash outlay. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  19. Tiavarone

Tiavarone

Nov 18, 2015
    None
    I haven't had any stability issues with the gvb36, and im very picky about action/feel. My house has steam heat and air conditioning - a combination that tends to magnify stabiliity problems.

20. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    I have owned my GVB36 for two years. I strung my bass up with Thomastik Infeld flats that should have higher string tension than round wounds. After I set everything up, it hangs on my wall all year round.

I have not had to make any truss rod adjustments since I did the setup. Plus it stays in tune when it sits for months. I think the GVB36 neck is super stable.

24659648035_4ae0ff5526_k.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016