Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ppanousos, Apr 24, 2005.

1. ppanousos

Apr 10, 2005
    Is there a big difference in construction and sound between the two?What about the weight?
  2. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Never heard of these models....are they new??
  3. they both play the same. i think they are differnt wood. and i know that one has barts and one has ibanez electronics. go on the ibanez website there is info on the two there
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Firstly, the GWB1 has been discontinued and replaced with the GWB105, which replaces the ebony fingerboard with on of Ebonal, and whose ramp is screwed in as opposed to attached with double-sided tape on the GB1. Otherwise it looks to be the same in all other aspects.

I've played the GWB35, and it's a surprisingly tight sounding fretless for a decent price (although I think it's a touch overpriced considering its features, and would haggle). Decent electronics, very nice neck w/ lines, and I think the basswood body lends itself well to this particular fretless. The main point I see is the string spacing: if you like tighter spacing like the 16.5 the 35 has, it's for you.
  5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    There are 2 GWB1s for sale on bassgear.com. The GWB35 has a thicker neck (front to back) as well.

I have a GWB1 and love it.
  6. Lulu

Lulu Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    I have a GWB35, and I'm very happy with it, but I never try a GW105; I prefer my Ibanez than the Yamaha TRBII-F.

It's excellent for the price

7. Resurrection.
    I will weigh in here. There are quite a bit of differences between the GWB and the GWB35. For one, the body and finish. The GWB1 is very light Ash with lots of noticeable grain, and at least on mine has a dark transparent Espresso finish as opposed to the flat black paint of the GWB35. As mentioned above the GWB35 is Basswood so it has to have thicker finish to protect the softer wood. The Pickup and preamp are all different, the GWB1 has the specially made Bartolini PUP (custom made to match the fretboard radius) and preamp with the push/pull Active/Passive switching, the GWB just has a stock Ibanez PUP and preamp with out Active/Passive switching. The neck is much thinner on the GWB1 and has an exceptional Ebony Fretboard. I think the Ebonal fretboard is probably fine, but I am sure it also is MUCH cheaper to manufacture. I am glad however that there is much confusion between the GWB1 and the GWB35, I picked up my GWB1 at a pawn shop for only $350 including a hardshell case because they mistakenly listed it as a GWB35 (thats all they could find on the internet to price it). They had it listed for $450, so I talked them down as far as I could go. If you can find a GWB1 get it, they are absolutely stunning. Incredibly low action with great tonal possibilities and sustain.
  8. gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    I've played both (The GWB105 was Gary's actual bass) and there is a world of difference between the two. I bought the 35 and returned it within 4 days of having it.

The attention to detail (it's construction) is night and day.

The electronics of the 35 are what you would expect for a $650 bass but cannot be compared to the 105's barts.

Overall, I would just get the GWB105. The reason that the 105 has the ebonal vs. the ebony is that (This is direct from Gary..) is that they were having problems with the ebony fingerboards (they were not holding up to the wear and tear) longevity.

The 105's are individually built by master luthiers and the 35's are machine made.

You get what you pay for but don't expect the 35 to be as good as the 105.

All the best.

Here's a side note: After returning the GWB35 I just "bit the bullet" and got a sweet pentabuzz and have no regrets. The 105 was in the running for the replacement but I have a history with Pedullas and went with what I am used to.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I had a GWB35 briefly. Fit and finish are OK, and the bass sounds very clear and "stringy," so you'll definitely get the Willis tone. Apart from the ramp, though, there's nothing to write home about.