Ibanez GWB205....Wow. What a bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chuck M, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    O3HshhK.jpg tNR62jk.jpg

I am blown away by this bass. It is beautiful and the workmanship is excellent in all respects. It has lovely figured wood in the body and the neck is beautifully carved. The USA Bartolini electronics are fantastic.

I honestly don't know how they produce this bass for the reasonable price (street price of about $1500). Yes it is not an inexpensive bass but I have owned some instruments that cost a lot more than this one and they were not nearly as good. The B string is the best I have ever heard on a 34" scale bass.

Icing on the cake is that it weighs 7 pounds, 12 ounces.

Nunovsky, bluepeep, nonohmic and 7 others like this.
  2. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Always thought those were very classy. Nice bass.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Can/do you play like Gary does? How low do you have the action set?

4. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hah! No I play like me! Gary is a master.

I have the action very low. I have been lowering it since I got the bass. Most fretless basses start to sound knarly when the action is this low. This one just sounds wonderful.

5. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    In the early '00s I saw Tribal Tech (I first saw them in the late '90s) just after Gary got his, at the time brand new, sig bass. He let me play it after the show, but I could barely get anything useful out of it as his action was so low it was buzz city for me. He made it sing during the show!

6. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Interesting thing is that Kirk Covington, drummer for Tribal Tech, lives in Austin these days and has a group he calls Capt. Kirk that plays in San Antonio once a month. Believe me when I say that Kirk is an astonishing musician. He plays drums, keyboard and sings. Just seeing him is an inspiration. My bass teacher, Jim Kalson, plays with Capt. Kirk.

From what I am hearing and seeing in Gary Willis' videos, I believe he has a very light touch. I have a much heavier touch since I play upright most of the time. The bass still sings very nicely in my hands.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    All those guys were really nice. I was in a band that did "Nite Club"; we were all at that TT show and while they were setting up before sound check we were talking with them and told them we that song. Scott Kinsey went into his gig bag to grab something. He handed me a copy of the notation, including Gary's NFN bass line! :thumbsup:

Mark76, Matthew_84 and Chuck M like this.
  8. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I played this bass last night. Used my Aguilar AG 700 and a pair of GS 112's. I brought along my G. Gould ggi6 and intended to play a few songs on the GWB 205 and then switch to the fretted 6. The Ibanez sounded so good that I played it all night.

I have owned a lot of fretless basses through the years. I started with a fretless Fender jazz clone and then went to Pedulla Buzz basses. I owned a pair of Fender's Jaco basses along the way and was really disappointed with them.

A few years ago I made a trade for a Roscoe Century fretless 6 and sold my Pedulla after I got the Roscoe. The Roscoe is a killer bass...looks great, plays beautifully and sounds great. I bought the Ibanez on an impulse and am so glad I did. The narrow neck makes that bass so easy to play and the fact that it is so light is easy on my back.

I presently have three fretless basses. The Roscoe Century 6, My Ibanez GWB 205 and a late model Peavey Foundation 4. They are all killer basses. I paid $175 for the Peavey and it is a much better bass than either of the Fender Jaco basses I owned. Peavey fretless basses made in the USA play and sound great. Try one if you get the chance and you will be surprised at how good they are.

nonohmic likes this.
  9. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    How do you find the closer string spacing, say when compared to a Fender Jaco, when playing fretless?

10. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The close spacing makes it easier to play. I will say, however, that I prefer close string spacing on all my basses.

Koshchei and nonohmic like this.
  11. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Beauty... I have a GWB35, made money with it, loved everything about it (not nearly as gorgeous as yours) However is idle because the tight string spacing is a struggle for me personally. Hence...
    mtd fless.jpg

Dr. Cheese, Nunovsky and nonohmic like this.
  12. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Super clean!

13. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Still GASing for one of these. Might wait and see how heavy the next shipment are.

14. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i just got one and it's super disappointing. hump in the fingerboard at the 3rd fret, reverse bow that can't be taken out because the truss rod is already loosened all the way, nut slots cut way to low. Very disappointed with the QC on the non-japanese builds. You get what you pay for.

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Return it, the replacement will be better.

16. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    +1.

17. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i don't think so. I also bought one of the chinese LGB30 guitars and it was also really poorly made though it sounded good. Here's a video of how "great" the 205 sounded. With the LGB30, they use really inexpensive hardware too. Didn't analyze that with the 205 although casual inspection indicated it had better hardware than the LGB30....However, I think I'm done with any of the "medium end" ibanez basses or guitars unless I either get to play it first or buy from someone who can do a proper demo...

18. BargeOn

BargeOn Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    CNY
    Any comment on the ramp? I liked the one I played in the shop.

19. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    ironically, while the strings were literally touching the fingerboard around the 3rd fret, the ramp seemed like it was adjusted lower than on the 1005 i previously owned...

20. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021