1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez GWB35 ramp height

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oneirogenic, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I just scored a GWB35 yesterday in a trade. When first inspecting the bass I noticed the ramp was too low to be useful but I figured it was adjustable and the kid I got it from had just lowered it so he could slap easier on it. So I start messing with the ramp today and find out the ramp isn't adjustable. The screws just hold it in place. I find this odd because my fingers weren't even touching the ramp even when I would purposely "dig in". Is this normal for GWB35 basses? I fixed the problem by putting some foam shims underneath the ramp and I was able to set it how I wanted which was flush with the fingerboard. Just curious if anyone else has seen this.

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Hmmm. I'll check mine when I get home.. I want to say mine's flush with the fretboard.

3. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Checked my Willis and indeed, the ramp is flush with the fret board.

4. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Hmmm....I wonder what was going on with mine. Is yours adjustable in any way? Is there some kind of shim underneath it like I had to do with mine? These kind of silly questions keep me up at night.

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    No, no adjustments that I could see. It appears to be a set height with the screws serving only to keep it in place and no apparent shims.

I'll try to snap a pic or two tonight. Get one or two of yours. You have my curiosity piqued now. I'd like to see what kind of differences there are between ours.

6. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I will do that

7. bonga_rascal

bonga_rascal

Sep 9, 2010
    You can actually raise the ramp by adding layers of tape under the ramp. That's how Willis does it. Try it. It should work out fine.

8. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    That will be incorrect. Tape is used for the previous generation of Willis basses, where the ramp height must be fixed manually with no counteracting force from underneath.

For the GWB35, I believe you'll just need to stick foam underneath the ramp to push the ramp upwards, then screw it down to the right height for your usage, just like how a pickup is screwed down with foam holding it up.