1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez has something here...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by santucci218, Mar 3, 2008.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    [​IMG]

We just got one of these in at work today and boy did I have fun. This thing was super punchy and played like a dream!

Not only that but the price tag was insane for the quality and sound i was getting out of it.

If this wasnt the ugliest bass on earth, i would totally be all about it! It really blew me away!

Just so i know, is that a 3 coil pickup in these things? How do you think these stack up to Ernie Ball?

2. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I don't think its that ugly. The only ugly bass I've ever seen was the fallical one I saw once...

3. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I like the sound a lot more then the MusicMan, but the two ATKs I have played all had busted truss rods. I had one and I miss it, but I won't own a bass I can't adjust.

I loved the sound though, and the playability was great.

4. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Yeah I know they're awesome, that's why I bought it. :D

It's awesome now, but imagine it with a black pickguard and rosewood fretboard. That'd be mine. :D

And I think I like it better than the SR. :D

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    pictures?

6. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    I like these basses.. I'd like them a lot more if they had a normal bridge.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They are great basses. As far as comparing the Ernie Ball, they are sub par, but when you look at the price difference, that makes sense.

They are one of my favorite imports, though.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The ATK is pretty much the only Ibanez that I like. I haven't played a new one yet to compare to the mid-90s model. I think it's been around here that I saw that the preamp has changed somewhat. For the 90s models, I think the electronics are the strong point. I actually prefer the ATK 305 to the Stingray 5. I wish I could say the same for the 4 strings. It could save me quite a bit of money!

9. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I don't have a good one but you get the idea from this

[​IMG]

Again I apologize for the lack of skills and lighting. It's dark here right now.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How wide are the ATK 5s at the nut?

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    nobody answered me =[

is it a 3 coil pickup?

dinghy, that is pretty sweet looking man!

12. Yes it's a 3 coil pickup :)
    [​IMG]

13. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    I saw that black one on clearance at GC for $279 or something like that, came back 3 days later to buy but it was gone. Now I'm gassing for the 750 (or an old 400), I usually don't like quilt tops but it really works with the ATK.

14. El Whappo

El Whappo Keepin' it Weird

Sep 28, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The ATK line are great basses. I really like the neck radius on these. I have a 95 and a new model with the rosewood board. The electronics on the 95 do sound a little better, but they are not that far apart. You can get a lot of different tones out of it for sure.

119-1942_IMG.

15. Obet922

Obet922

Jan 7, 2007
    Philippines
    Yup, that's a triple coil. My only gripe about it is that you can't actually use all three coils at once...hehe. As far as comparisons to MM's are concerned, I ALMOST like this one better than the music men, and for the price...it's a steal! :D

16. Yup, 3-coil pickup.

Quite a similar sound to the SR. The ATK is a bit heavier in the low-mids, but lacks in the detail and clarity of the high end that the SR has.

17. They are great basses, especially for the price. I find the new one I have sounds as good as the 90s I had - a bit quieter noise-wise too. Frets are a little rough on the ends, but play great. And the truss wheel is a fantastic idea (yes, I realize Ernie Ball brought it out first).

As far as comparing with a Ray5, the Ray5 s are generally built better, but I'd expect that as they are far more expensive. But these ATKs are certainly solid basses.

Soundwise, where it counts most, I actually prefer the 305, and have had both. The ATK is more versatile, and has better low mids. It doesn't have the high end sizzle of the Ray5, but definitely is not lacking in highs and I prefer the more "organic" highs to the sizzly Ray highs. All this is IMO, but that is obvious.

I would be happy with either for sure! Just prefer the ATK, and the cheaper price is a bonus, though there are compromises due to this (i.e. fretwork not as good)

Gratuitous picture of my ATK305:

Jamie

18. Now if we could only convince Ibanez to start making some of their other basses with Maple fretboards and not 99.5% rosewood - even their "Prestige" models.

...and Fender as well. You can find MIM Str*ts with that option at the $399 pricepoint, but bass-wise the first one up for grabs is the Fender Deluxe P Bass Special at $599.99 and for Jazz Basses the Geddy Lee Signature at $849.99. Boo-urns. :scowl:

19. woo another excuse to post pictures of my ATK

stainedglassbass03.
    stainedglassbass09.
    stainedglassbass08.
    stainedglassbass04.

i dont think its ugly, looks really shmexy to me!

20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Narrower than you would like. I don't recall exactly, but I think it is somewhere in the 1 3/4" neighborhood, give or take 1/8". Not too far from what you look for in a 4.

Yes, Paul, it's a triple-coil design.