Ibanez "Iceman" Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by volker, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Only today I found out by coincidence that there's not only an Ibanez "Iceman" guitar
    but also a bass version of Kiss' Paul Stanley's former signature instrument:

Is there anybody around here who has checked it out or even owns one
    and can tell me something about it?

Thanks heaps,

Volker :)
  2. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I've never played one, but I've heard that they're very nice. One of GWAR's bassists had one at one time, so it can't be that bad.:)
  3. I played one of those in a store when they came out, about ten years ago. From what I recall it was a nice playing, cool looking (at least I thought so at the time, now I'm not so sure) bass. It also felt more solid than most Ibanezes, but it probably neck dives like crazy.
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    They also come in different finish levels- a local store has one plain black one, like the pic above, and one cream or white one with pearl and white binding one body and headstock.
  5. Wow, so they've been around for quite some time, too!

Thanks for your posts, everyone! :)
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A few years ago my #3 band did a showcase with another local band called the Suburban Vamps... both the guitarist and bassist played Icemans. The matched set looked pretty darn cool.
  7. whoa!

sweet...I always thought the Iceman would make a nice lookin' bass!

I wanna play 1!

the neck looks thin,and the headstock is huge.

so,the neckdive shouldnt be too bad...

8. Reminds me of ZZ Top and their matching Dean guitars and basses in endless variations :)

Yes, I wouldn't mind an "Iceman" bass crossing my way at some stage, either. I've always liked that design and I'd love to check one out. I'm sure the lower horn of the body prevents the instrument from neck-diving.
  9. Just imagine how much cooler your band would be ifyou played an iceman bass... id opt for the one with stars on it...
  10. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    My friend has an Iceman guitar and the thing has mad neck dive, mad! Its sounds cool and looks cool but I would hate to have to play that thing.
  11. You think so? To me, and I never claimed to be a rocket engineer, it seems like it should be the other way around. Please share your trail of thoughts.
  12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Yep, I think you got that one sdrawkcab.
  13. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hey, wasn't Warmoth planning to make an Iceman body? I think i saw a prototype in a thread a while ago.
  14. I think that was a thread where someone was having fun with their photo program, and it was a guitar body?!
    @ hujo

And @ lousybassist & pilotjones:
    Just speaking from my experience with "Explorer" shapes and similar ones - it looks to me that if one would cut off that lower horn, then there'd be a serious case of neck-diving. At the same time it's very important where the strap pins have been placed, of course.
  15. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    We did make a 1-off 5-string Iceman bass body last year sometime.... We could do a 4-stringer if somebody really wanted one!
  16. Infamous_MB

Dec 11, 2002
    I actually used to own one. They play wonderfully, but are kinda lacking in guts. The pickups were passive Ibanez, and just didnt have a whole lot of thump...but of course adding a preamp or new pickups, or both, it would sound great. I dont remember there being much of a neckdive...but no neck-dive compares to that of a B.C. Rich with the Black-widow headstock...anyhoo...if you evere find one, id suggest at least trying one out..but if you get a cream one like I had, repaint it. :)