Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez iceman- my encounter and 2 centavos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anti_Wish, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    had to steal the thread title...

well today i played probably one of the greatest basses i have ever played in my life (excluding a Sadowsky that the owner had a PLEK fret treatment done on it). the new icemans that came out from ibanez had arrived at the guitar center next to where i live and i thought i would try it out so i could say "ya they are just trying to cash in on that whole retro is the new thing" type bullcrap. what with the gold pickups and block inlays and neck binding. but boy was i surprised when i played this!
    first off, it weighed nothing, say in the 6 pound range... the frets were perfectly cut and dressed and the action was super nice. not vic wooten low, but low enough for me. the neck reminded me of an old P bass with a B neck. it was so good to touch it. when i plugged it in i was expecting the 60 cycle hum one usually gets from unground wires or cheap electronics, but it was dead silent. with both pickups at 10, it reminded me of ric growl with massive low end. as i played with the V/V/T settings i could go from reggae dub to jaco mids with the turn of a knob.
    id say the only bad part about this was the lower horn cutout not deap enough to easily reach 20-22 frets. all in all i give it a 9.5 because of the neck. but in looks and quality i give it a 10. all for like $450 US.