Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Iceman--opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tiredman9, Aug 19, 2005.

1. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    I have been looking for an ibanez iceman to try out and have already looked a lot. I tried one but it was used and in terrible condition. Has anyone here actually played one of these? Im just interested because i like the mini humbucker sound from the one I played (but the rest was in such bad condtion). So what do you guys think of this bass as a cheap one to play for a metal band im sitting in for a while...thanks

2. Theres two versions of the ice man I'm aware of. The ICB 200 and ICB 400. The ICB200, Which is in most guitar centers and sam ash's and on the internet sites, I think is crap, And very ugly. However, There was(Or still is) a Used ICB 400, With two big humbuckers, All black finish, And it played great. Id look for A ICB 400 if I were you. I think they only came in black. I havent seen many of them. Ibanez for a short time also made a neck through version, Which I saw on ebay a couple months ago, BUt the guy wanted like, $2000 for it :spit:, Again look around for the ICB400. Hope this helps.

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    ICB200 is the new Iceman available now. That bass can be hit or miss. Most people hate it. I played one and didn't think it was that bad. It has the natural finish and gold-colored pickups. It had standard bread and butter tones. Nothing mindblowing.

Still, the more desirable Iceman basses are the ones from 1994 or so. Those had a black finish and binding. The higher end ones that were made in Ibanez' Japan factory are reasonably desirable. I remember Sean Yseult played some of the earliest Iceman basses in '94 when White Zombie was getting big. I never had a chance to play one of those.