Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Iceman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, May 3, 2005.

1. Has anyone had experiences with the new Ibanez Iceme, if so yay or nay? Thanks.

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Nay , they sound and feel very bad! If you want a ibanez there are many more better Ibanez 's to chose from

3. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i concur, i like the look of em, but didn't sound or play very well.

4. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    all the Ibanez Icemans I've seen had crooked necks. the neck pocket was too big and the neck wasn't properly seated in their pocket. ibanez makes some really good stuff, but man, their lower end stuff blows and sucks at the same time.

5. I had one from 10 years ago & A) it didn't sound all that hot & B) it balanced badly

6. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    i bet the older ones are a lot better than the current ones, still.

7. Thanks for the replies, can you clarify what you mean by "sounding bad"? eg lack of low end, lack of definition etc...

8. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    before anyone answers that, i should add that the amp makes more difference in tone than the bass does......

9. I'm just asking cause one man's junk is another's treasure

10. I know the guitars sound pretty good and play quite well, but I've never tried the basses.

11. [​IMG]

12. here's mine. bought it from ebay. Sounds good with hi-beams through my ampeg. balance is poor-neck heavy and body tilts away. Its not that big of a deal, but it feels different compared to my p-bass. not very heavy. looks cool in black with antiqued binding. I wouldn't buy one of the new ones, tho'.

13. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I must be strange, because I tried one of the new Ibanez Iceman basses at GC and I liked it. The neck was chunkier than your average Ibanez, which I liked. The sound was mostly bread and butter tones, but I dug it. Yeah, the body shape made for some strange balance issues. Action could've been better, but that's nothing a good setup couldn't cure.

The SR300DX is another Ibanez bass that most folks here can't stand, but I like (and use as a backup for my Corvette.) The neck's easy playing, it seems well made, the battery compartment has threaded inserts (so no stripped out screw holes), and I actually like the tonal properties of agathis more than alder (agathis gives me richer lows.)

Sure there are better Ibanez basses and better any basses in the Iceman's price range, but I don't think they're as bad as people say.

14. i saw this lame jazz concert thing in the middle of our Local mall and the bass player had the worst set up ever, he had one of the new icemans, a hartke aluminium coned 4x10 and it sounded like ****, my bass teacher gave him a lecture after the show, was hella funny.

15. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I always wanted an Iceman back in the 90´s. I was a big fan of White zombie and I thought the shape of the gui*** their gui***player used was really cool for a bass, then I discovered that Ibanez ofered that bass model. I never got it, though.

Actually, I´ve never played one in my life, but if one day I find a nice deal with one of those babys....... :)

16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Zombie's bass player used an Iceman as well, actually she had two of the first reissue Iceman basses. I played one of them too :)

I like it, kinda uncomfortable but I got used to it. I'm a big guy so the weight wasn't a problem and I found the neck droop no worse than many other basses.

17. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

You are rigth!!!!! She looked very sexy with her Iceman bass back in the days!!!!

18. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    She's kinda scary looking in person actually. But really cool when I met her. I was filling in for the bassist in one of my old bands when they opened for Zombie. I was borrowing his rig because mine was in another state at the time, but at the last minute no one could find his bass!

We were desperately trying to find a bass for to use during soundcheck and one of Zombie's roadies told Sean what was up. She let me play the gig with her spare Iceman :)

After the show I got to chill with her and Jay for a bit in their trailer and thanked her for being so sympathetic to the plight of a no name local metal band. Rob incidently was not only too far above talking to any of his fans, he was above talking to his bandmates by that point as well. He was probably at the club for 42 minutes total including the 40 minute set :rollno: