1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez, I'm gonna need you to stop surprising me, like, now.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Jan 20, 2012.

1. I made a thread a few months back about how suddenly, after years of being a hater (and with good reason), I had finally warmed up to the Ibanez SR series basses. A few months after that I made a thread about how a SR Premium completely wowed me at GC. And today I tried a BTB that was just fantastic in just about every way. I was never interested in the BTBs before because I think they look lame and that hasn't changed but apparently I've been missing out on a pretty sweet line of basses. Admittedly, watching Adam Neely's (havic5 here and on Youtube) vids had me a bit curious because, prior to seeing him, I'd never heard a BTB really sound GREAT, but I'm sure he could make any bass sing.

I might've tried one before but I don't even remember it which probably means it sounded meh. But today I tried out a BTB 5er and it was just awesome. Cheaper basses with humbuckers usually turn me off pretty quick but this thing hit me in all the right places. I won't lie, it still had a certain dullness to it that I've come across in a lot of basses with soapbars but I feel that could probably be remedied with some different or newer strings in this case. Also the preamp felt pretty weak but I didn't even need to play with it to make that bass sound like a million bucks. So right on, Ibanez. Right on. Again, I'll probably never own one because I couldn't own a bass I don't like to look at but the thing had everything else down pat.

2. Was just at their booth today at NAMM trying out the Gary Willis fretless models. I was VERY impressed. Noboby stocks these around me so it was awesome to finally play them. Lotsa stuff that I didn't try though. Now you've got me more curious. BTB you say? Going back for more tomorrow. :bassist:

3. PS. I still own a late 70's era Ibanez Roadstar and it's pretty damn cool! :D

4. Coreythebassman

Coreythebassman Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I'm still not into SR, but a kid that i go to college with has a BTB Prestige and it SMOKES!

5. Yea, these things are classy. If I could get that sound in a jazz bass aesthetic package, I'd be all over it.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Kwesi, look in the mirror, and you will see a gear snob.:smug:

Seriously, Ibanez has always made some great gear, they just make a ton of low end gear too. My favorite BTBs are the older Prestige or Premium models with American Bartolini electronics. They are pretty much Tobias or Elricks on a budget.:bassist:

7. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    My wife once surprised me with a Korean made BTB 5 string, as a gift. I was ready to take it back without even playing it. It ended up being my main gigging bass for about four years. It was versatile, it was quiet, it sounded good and I didn't care if I beat it up.

There was a local guy with the Japanese version. To be honest, in the mix, I didn't think it sounded any better than mine.

8. Oh, I don't deny it but I'm picky in my snobbishness ;). It only prevents me from owning basses that cost x amount of money but it doesn't affect wether or not I like them, haha. I've gotten my hands on dozens of Ibanez basses and the vast majority were just not good. Then I saw a friend rocking a SR506 and decided to try one again and the thing was all right! Still not keen on the slap tone but the fingerstyle is righteous.

9. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    I play a 4 string fretted bass; 5 string and fretless basses have never felt natural to me. Except the Gary Willis signature. I got to try one out years ago, and for some reason it just felt right.

10. Ibanez is quite possibly the best bang for buck bass on the market today. I wish I liked how they look.

11. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007

Right on!

One of the main reasons for playing Ibbys is precisely their look - I don't like the Fender type basses. But that's just me :)

12. Max Blasto

Max Blasto

Nov 29, 2010
    San Diego
    Kwesi, I'm glad you enjoyed that BTB experience.

I tried one about 10 years ago and became obsessed with it. So, of course I bought one (japanese prestige 5str model w the barts) and it's been my main bass since then.

Actually, it revolutionized my playing.

As for the aesthetics, well it sure doesn't look like a jazz bass. That's another reason I bought it. I like jazz basses as long as someone else is playing them. And usually they are, if they're not playing a p bass. I'd rather not wear the same clothes as everyone else either. But we all have a difference "eye."

Ibanez gets dinged for their lower end stuff, but that's because that's what people are familiar with. I think the BTB line rocks.

I think, as with music in general, we should keep an open mind about instruments (basses in this example) and continue to try out new things. I'm going to use your example as inspiration and go out try out some new stuff tomorrow.

I'll tell 'em Kwesi sent me. How bout that? ;)