Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez image issue...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brainfodder, Jan 14, 2006.

1. I took some great advice from y'all and tried out an Ibanez SR900. I am switching from a Dean Edge 4 (much respect to them for a reliable, playable, and inexpensive bass btw), and was told that the Ibanez might make the transition from the skinny little neck a mite easier...

And I loved it. Great sound, beautiful build, very versatile, though it will take me a while to get used to active electronics. The neck is wider than the Dean, but not much. I can't say I am sold yet, but I am damn impressed.

So here is my problem: when you say Ibanez, I think cardboard box, strap, instrument, and amp in a kit sold to a 5th grader. I feel a little bit of the image hang up.

How respected is the name in music circles? I know it doesn't hit the comfort factor that a Fender Jazz would, but has Ibanez earned the respect of musicians? Are my hangups totally my issues here?

ck

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ibanez has earned my respect with the SRX705.

3. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Yes. :p

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't know how far back you go, but Ibenez used to make nothing but copies. They actually made pretty good ones. When Gibson sued them over their Les Paul copy rumor had it, that it was too good. I think the Iceman they made for Paul Stanley was their first original, and they started to gain some respect when Santana started playing them.
    That and the fact they make beginner models.
    But I'll be honest, I will always remember them for making copies. Right or Wrong. It's drilled in my head.

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i'm too young to remember the copies, so that would kind of explain why i don't care about that issue, even though i think it was wrong if it was as bad as you all say it was.

6. Kinda like Sadowsky?:meh:

7. No image hang-ups here.

I get the most compliments with my pair of Ibby's:

[​IMG]

And of course, my darling,

[​IMG]

Either way, I only play the sexiest :smug:

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Not really, Sadowsky makes thier money from their name, not Fenders. Ibenez was knocking off everyone else's stuff and mass producing it at a LOWER price. There were alot of Japanese copies going around then, I had one,but I wanted a real Gibson. Ibenez was made a example of and it stopped for the most part.
    People who have Sadowsky's don't tend to wish they had a Fender.

9. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I am old enough to remember those days. Back then, Ibanez was something of a joke. If you had an Ibanez, you got laughed at.

I had been away from the world of Guitars and Basses for about 20 years and when I started paying attention again, Ibanez had become the "real deal."

When I found out that George Benson had started playing Ibanez, that's when I was like, "Whoa -- these boys have changed their image."

10. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    They do have that "cheapo" rep, but that's not stopping me wanting to go out and buy three BTB405s as gigging basses (one to defret). They just feel good, and for the price, they're a steal.

A BTB with the ATK pickup combo and EQ would pretty much be my ideal production bass, if only Ibanez would make it! :D

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't think Gary Willis, Carol Kaye or Doug Wimbish are bothered too much by the image, so why would you be?

12. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    The only problem about Ibanez is that they dont care about lefties

13. My point was that(*Rich Schneider voice on*)'makin' copies' is, IMO, neither good nor bad- depending upon your intent(deceit vs tribute).

Edit: (*R.S. voice off*)

14. Quite the opposite, actually, lol:rolleyes: .

Honestly, I am a bit biased, but I am biased because these are damn great instruments! Honestly, I chose Ibanez over Spector purely becasue of the bang for the buck issue. My Ibanez SR406 is easily the best damn budget six stringer (IMO) around! The higher end Ibanez SR series, they absolutely blow Warwick Corvette's away with ease.

The tone the stock Ibby DX pickups have pack quite the punch, and the higher end models come with Barts! (RD excluded... BassLines instead!) You don't get much cooler than that! The build quality is amazing on these things, and I can honestly say, I'm sold on Ibanez for life.

I don't care whether it's a $1000+ Prestige, or a $250- JamPack, I know it's going to rock, because that's what today's Ibanez gear is all about. I honestly cannot say enough good things about Ibanez... I've said alot here too!

-ryan-

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Ibanez makes many different models, some are cheap and others are not so cheap. If you like it, then don't worry too much about the image. I have personally tried many of their basses and they seem well made, except I just don't like the neck sizes (especially the Soundgear models). If I played one that felt really good and the price was right, I would buy it. They seem to be good value for the money.

Sting used to play an Ibanez when he was in The Police.

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm not knocking Ibenez, they put out a good product. I'm from a different generation than a lot of you and when I was a very impressionalble musician, things weren't like they are today. I got a different impression. That's all. I wouldn't talk anybody out of buying one, but I've found other brands I like. Pros use them today, back then no way.

17. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm not a big fan of Ibanez' own designs, but I think you're overdoing the image thing.

Every large musical instrument company offers budget models. Ibanez is no different from Yamaha or Fender in that regard. Where they "went wrong" (if it can be said that a company whose basses are in every other music store on Earth did anything wrong) is in catering to the 80s hair band market. Uh- make me an instrument I'll still want to be seen playing when I'm fifty, please.

I've owned a couple of Jazz copies. One was great and the other just pretty good. I have no problems with anyone copying Fenders. Where they lost me was with those cookie cutter Soundgear models.

18. I absolutley love my SR406, and hope to someday gain an SR100X Prestige model... I guess that makes me a "cookie cutter" bass fan...

..Now Fender copies.. those are the 'cookie cutter' basses, imo.

-ryan-

19. I liked my SR1400 good tone pretty wood and nicely made. The neck was hard for me to get used too... it was TOO skinny for me. But they are quality instruments... and even some of their lower end models have great electronics and have great tone.

20. How Soundgear are cookie cutter is beyond me... now, the Fender Precision and Jazz models... that every company has at least three copies of each... hmm... :smug: