1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Indonesia vs Japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Venturella, Feb 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Venturella

Venturella

Feb 10, 2016
    Im thinking of getting an ibanez bass soon (specifically ibanez sr1205 or 5005) i realized that Ibanez sr1205 is made in Indonesia meanwhile Ibanez sr5005 is made in Japan and i think they are both premium basses. Do they have any difference in sounds, quality and durability etc?

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Actually Ibanez sr5005, made in Japan, is a Prestige model, so since Premium inception 5 years ago, the difference in price became hard to bear for japanese models sales, but craftsmanship is still a giant leap ahead on Prestige and US Bartolini electronics and pickups have quite a different character and vibe... while Nordstrand BigSingles are humcancellin' singles, full of growl and bite, and low output, US Barts are hi-fi dark soapbars, with more headroom and lot of output.

Cheers,
    Wallace

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    songwriter21 likes this.
  3. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    +1

I've had both types, and the Prestige is just that, as the craftsmanship is basically boutique standards. One of the best basses I've ever owned, was an '02 Prestige BTB. That thing totally stood up to the other best ones I've had/tried...Modulus Quantums, Mike Lull, MTD USA, Warrior, Roscoe, etc. I simply sold it because it was BEATEN UP from being such a workhorse, and then it happily went to a fellow local musician.

4. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Try them both and get the one that feels the best in your hands.

Plenty of options on the market to change the sound.

5. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    I own both Japanese (older SR1300 and SR5000MM) and Indonisian models (SR650PBAM and a new SRSC805 DTF) and I would give a slight nod in tone to the Japanese models. Not sure if if it has to do with the age of the Japanese models (both 90's models), the woods used, or the electronics (AFR PJ PUPs and vari-mid EQ circuit in both), but the build quality of my two Indo SRs is very nice. YMMV