1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Featured Ibanez Introduces Updated SR500E, SR505E, SR505EL, & SR506 Electric Basses

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jan 2, 2019.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Bensalem, PA – The SR500E, SR505E, SR505EL, & SR506 feature an Okoume body which offers a warm and fat low end. The thin, sturdy and stable Jatoba/Walnut neck offers superior playability when combined with the extended neck joint, making the upper frets easily accessible. These basses are equipped with Bartolini® BH2 pickups in a dual-coil style configuration with a lower resonant frequency, providing a balanced, warm response with a tighter bottom end and a fuller midrange. The Ibanez Custom Electronics 3-band EQ features a 3-way mid-frequency switch, allowing for precise tonal control (250 Hz, 450 Hz, and 700 Hz) and an EQ bypass switch for passive-only operation. When the EQ bypass is activated, the treble tone control knob becomes the global tone control for the passive circuit. The B500 bridge (B505 & B506 on 5 and 6 string) has adjustable saddles for string spacing adjustments, answering every bassist’s individual string spacing demands, no matter the playing style. The saddles can be adjusted +/-1.5mm, and the neck-joint truss rod access allows for quick and easy neck adjustments. The SR Series continues to satisfy the vast needs of bass players, exciting them with the SR’s smooth and fast neck, lightweight body and perfectly matched electronics.

Features

SR500E
    • SR4 5pc Jatoba/Walnut neck
    • 24 frets
    • Okoume body
    • Jatoba fretboard w/Abalone oval inlay
    • Medium frets
    • D'Addario® Strings
    • Bartolini® BH2 neck pickup
    • Bartolini® BH2 bridge pickup
    • Ibanez Custom Electronics 3-band EQ
    • EQ bypass switch (passive tone control on treble pot), 3-way Mid frequency switch
    • Accu-cast B500 bridge (19mm string spacing, adjustable)
    • Black matte hardware
    • Available Finishes: Brown Mahogany, Surreal Black Dual Fade
    LIST: $866.65

SR505E

• SR5 5pc Jatoba/Walnut neck
    • 24 frets
    • Okoume body
    • Medium frets
    • D'Addario® Strings
    • EQ bypass switch (passive tone control on treble pot), 3-way
    • Mid frequency switch
    • Accu-cast B505 bridge (16.5mm string spacing, adjustable)
    • Black matte hardware
    • Available Finishes: Brown Mahogany, Surreal Black Dual Fade

LIST: $933.32

SR505EL (Left Handed)
    • SR5 5pc Jatoba/Walnut neck
    • 24 frets
    • Okoume body
    • Medium frets
    • D'Addario® Strings
    • EQ bypass switch (passive tone control on treble pot), 3-way
    • Mid frequency switch
    • Accu-cast B505 bridge (16.5mm string spacing, adjustable)
    • Black matte hardware
    • Available Finishes: Brown Mahogany

LIST: $999.99

SR506
    • SR6 5pc Jatoba/Walnut neck
    • Okoume body
    • Medium frets
    • Accu-cast B506 bridge (16.5mm string spacing)
    • Ibanez Custom Electronics, 3-band w/EQ bypass switch (passive tone on treble pot) & 3-way Mid frequency switch
    • Matte Black Hardware
    • Available Finishes: Brown Mahogany

LIST: $999.99

SR500E_BM_1P_01_Back. SR500E_BM_1P_01_CU_Body_Back. SR500E_BM_1P_01_CU_Body_Top. SR500E_BM_1P_01_Inset_A. SR500E_BM_1P_01_Inset_B. SR500E_BM_1P_01_Tilt_Side. SR500E_BM_1P_01. SR500E_SBD_1P_01_Back. SR500E_SBD_1P_01_CU_Body_BacK. SR500E_SBD_1P_01_CU_Body_Top. SR500E_SBD_1P_01_Tilt_Side. SR500E_SBD_1P_01. SR505E_BM_1P_01_Back. SR505E_BM_1P_01_CU_Body_Back. SR505E_BM_1P_01_CU_Body_Top. SR505E_BM_1P_01_Tilt_Side. SR505E_BM_1P_01. SR505EL_BM_1P_01_Back. SR505EL_BM_1P_01_CU_Body_Back. SR505EL_BM_1P_01_CU_Body_Top.

GTHintz, jcerio, Roger Ammons and 5 others like this.
  2. Nice!

Nice and ...brown.

(Ibanez guy)

Herrick likes this.
  3. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia, Riga
    Good upgrades, the prices are, too.

Quantized Harmonic likes this.
  4. Kaplan

Kaplan

Jul 25, 2018
    Germany
    Adjustable string spacing ... cool!

5. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    It seems (to me) that the biggest knock against the 500 series was that the surface/finish would chip and nick easily, and so the the area around the pickups would get trashed. I wonder if they addressed this.

6. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I imagine that these are on par with Ibanez's usual good quality and value. But- okoume is a type of plywood and jatoba is more commonly known as stinktoe.

So, do you want a plywood bass with a stinktoe neck? I know I do!

7. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Basywater, Western Australia
    Audiofly In-Ear Monitors And Headphones

From what I've read they USE Okoume (alternatively named Gabon) in Plywood, but it's not always plywood.

See this Okoume Jazz V body. Can clearly see the grain is not ply.

View attachment 3269755

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Artman and Uncle Hanky like this.
  8. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    That's a serious looking bridge. Rad's on every edge, adjustable spacing. This could be a nice mod for any bass.

FriendlyFiver likes this.
  9. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Ibby always finds a way to make a good thing better. Seems this is following right in line.

I have an older SR505, and it's a great sounding and playing bass. I like the bridge, three way mid selector, and passive switch. All nice additions. Sounds like the pickups have been warmed over too.

10. No left handed 4 string?

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  11. Okoume is a hardwood tree. It's a fast grower so it's plantation grown for the lumber industry. For the price, it has a nice grain and is one of the poor man's mahogany like Luan (Phillipine mahogany). While it is used a lot for cabinet grade plywood, there's no indication that these low-mid range Ibanezes are made from plywood. It's quite possible that it's just another cheap hardwood choice like poplar, parawood (brazillian rubberwood) or basswood (lindens or lime wood).

12. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    It would be nice if they actually put finishes on the 500s closer to what they put on the cheaper models! Like maybe some polyurethane instead of the crap they put on them now

Oly Spart and basslifter like this.
  13. Agreed...as the models go up, so does the furniture look.

Oly Spart likes this.
  14. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Exactly my sentiments! I would LOVE a new version of the SR500 lefty! I have the 2010 version but it's not as upscale as this one. This one more resembles the SR1200E that they discontinued. Sigh...

15. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I understand everyone has different tastes. I always get compliments on my SR500. I would not want a poly finish on the bass, it would detract (IMHO) from the grain of the wood. I've found just a touch-up mahogany crayon from the hardware store takes care of my nicks on my SR500. Also, for all the complaints about the finish, I've been using my bass as my main for 8 years and I've only gotten two small chips in the finish and after touch up they are practically invisible. To each their own.

16. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Nice.... Still not getting rid of my old SR480...

17. 4 Out of 5

4 Out of 5

Oct 6, 2017
    There is. Read the OP again and you'll find the SR505EL.

18. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I read t. Sorry chap looking for a four string not five.

19. 4 Out of 5

4 Out of 5

Oct 6, 2017
    Oh poop - you're right. The specs don't actually mention how many strings it has, but I've now realised that's what the 5 at the end of 505 stands for 5 strings.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  20. That a pricey 500 series. That's more of a SR800ish price. Is there no SR600 range anymore?