ibanez issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pbass337, Sep 9, 2010.

1. pbass337

pbass337

Jul 9, 2010
    Reading, Ma
    so i have an ibanez sdgr sr800le. i got it used a while back at a guitar center. i recently wanted a new amp so i tried selling it to guitar center. they looked at it and said probably $25. then they plugged it in and it played one note then died. we changed the battery, the cable, the amp and it still wasnt working. then the guy said "your electronics are dead. ill give you $10 for it." i was mad about only getting 25 for it. so i left with my bass. but now i wanna fix it because i wanted to customize it and get new pickups and defret it. any advice on what to do about the whole "dead electronics problems?

2. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    The SR800 is made in Japan and a nice bass, not worth a whole lot, but certainly more than $10, probably worth $150-$200 in good working order. I'd take it to a competent friend to check out, maybe just the output jack needs to be replaced? Ibanez electronics don't fail all that often, I'd suspect the output jack. If the preamp is bad, a competent tech should be able to rewire it passive using the existing pickups for not a whole lot of $$ (but new pots), that would probably be pretty cool.

3. pbass337

pbass337

Jul 9, 2010
    Reading, Ma
    ya i got it for $125 used like 4 or 5 years ago so i was hoping for like $50-75 for it

4. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    I know I'd jump on it at that price if it's not beaten up too badly; it can't be that difficult to fix IMHO. If you're determined to keep it you might wait for others to chime in or visit the Ibanez official forum http://forum.ibanez.com/ for more details.

5. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Does it have the AFR pickups? The set in my '91 Ibanez TR died.

6. Matt-77

Matt-77

Jun 15, 2007
    Birmingham Uk
    I don't know if this helps but I have had a quick search and found 3 in the UK from £297 to £549 for a new one. so you might have done the right thing keeping hold of it , If your gonna keep it and do it up it will be worth spending the time and effort to get it right probly an easy fix once you find somebody to take a look at the guts of the thing. Good luck

7. pbass337

pbass337

Jul 9, 2010
    Reading, Ma
    the pick ups are regulated lo-z. im not good with that kind of stuff so i dont really know what that means i just typed in what is printed on the pick up

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It might be a bad wire or something. Electronics don't just die.

I have an '87 SR-885LE I bought new. I was about $800! It also had the regulated Low-Z pickups... two Jazz models. They sound good but were slightly noisy. They are active and use a dummy coil (one half of a guitar humbucker with no poles) under each pickup. That didn't work too well.

I ended up replacing them with EMG Js. That sounded very nice. I left the stock preamp in.

These days it has two of my Jazz pickups, and an aluminum Hipshot Type A bridge, after sitting it its case for 10 years. I needed a bass to test Jazz pickups, so I fixed it up. Now it's one of my main gigging basses.

If you have to, replace the pickups. You might like it. I wouldn't try and sell it at GC either. They are trying to get it cheap so they can sell it for more.

I'd never sell mine now. You can hear it at my YouTube link. Great sounding bass. And what would you buy? Some cheap Fender? BORING! ;)

NEO885LE.jpg

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021