Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez K5 Fieldy Signature Bass. Just another Soundgear?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurt M., Apr 23, 2002.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Yeah I know I'm still trying to talk myself into an Ibanez. Just the things are so nice and light for on stage.

Anyway, has anybody played the Ibanez K5 Fieldy signature series. Is it just another Soundgear? Somebody please tell me the B handles well.

Kurt

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    It has everything that a nice bass should have its only drawback looks to be the name on the headstock. Mabye Ibanez is gunna pull a Peavey here...?

3. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I could care less whos name is on the headstock. I'm more concerned with how it sounds, how it feels and how it looks. Oh and how light it is and how well it holds up. Wait a minute guess I want the impossible. Well, probably. But, I just wanted to know what the crowd (mostly rock or hard rock players probably) thought of the bass.

Thanks.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What I meant by the "name on the headstock" comment was that Ibanez is often slammed around here for putting out some pretty crappy products, other than the BTBs. This one looks to be a winner but there is often prejudice towards one bass based upon the companies line of other products.

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    old_skool: Sorry to blow your bubble, but Ibanez makes some GREAT instruments.. Have you ever played the ATKs? or the Soundgear 3000? Great basses! I would love to own a Soundgear 3000. It's the neck-thru bass. Ibanez do make lower end instruments but that doesn't mean they can't make any high end products.

Please don't bash a company without seeing them as a whole

DM:D

6. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I realize Ibanez gets slammed around a bit. I think the people doing the slamming have a basic problem with hard rock. I happen to like many types of music but hard rock is whay makes my blood boil. So, if you're into hard rock you can't deny bands like Korn, Stain'd, Godsmack and Limp Bizkit. Check out some of these albums. While the bass isn't always technical there is some serious low end coming out of these Ibanez users. Are they special one-offs with hot rodded electronics? I'm not sure. I do know that all of the above acts use Ibanez Soundgears in one way shape or form.

Thanks for the insite I appreciate everybodys point of view.

Stay loud...

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like hard rock, I just don't like Soundgears.

Although I'll admit that the Prestige models are killer, if overpriced.

8. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Then again you think Steppenwolf was the first Metal Band ? :confused:

Thanks for your input.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it's got all the right makings to be a great bass...

i wouldn't even mind it being an ibanez...

but having it not only have fieldy's name, but that big K5 on the fingerboard...no way in hell.

10. embellisher

I never said that Steppenwolf was the first metal band. That is where the term originated.:rolleyes:

And of course, that invalidates my opinion of Soundgears, which was formed by the fact that I have owned one for several years.

Who was the first metal band, Quiet Riot?

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Kurt M.. remember that in recordings, you can have Effects, Pedals, and most importantly, "EQ"ing. Why do you think they have bass technicians? They can also recieve a better bass from Ibanez or whatever.. Change the pickups/electronics. Customized it a little.. and stuff like that..

Just because they are endorsed DOESN'T always mean they use that bass for recording.. Endorsement can mean that they use their basses for live shows to "show" ppl for marketing. But in the studio, no one can see you and what you play..

my 2 cents

DM

12. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Well that's pretty positive comming from a Warwick man. Yeah I'm not crazy about the K5 on the fret board. I'm not some Korn wanaby. Guess I could just get an 885 and throw some Barts in it.

Dunno.

13. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Dave Mustaine just rolled over in his grave. What he's not dead yet.

Lighten up man. So, you own a bass you don't like (Ibanez). I got ya.

So, nobody played the bass. Nobody has anything good or bad to say about THE BASS.

Thanks all

14. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    DM,

Thanks. I get all that. I'm just searching for the right sound. I'm going through some growing pains gear wise that is.

Check us out on MP3.com. Search for "LOH".

At present I'm trying to nail down more of a heavy "Disturbed" type tone. I realize that nobody knows what goes on behind closed studio doors.

I've never been big on effects. I've only ever recorded in 3 professional studios and so far I haven't gotten what I'm after. I've used various combinations. I'm sure you know the drill.

Later

15. embellisher

If the K-5 is up to the standards of the Prestige Soundgears, it is probably a great bass. The Padauk/mahogany/wenge Prestige models are very good basses, especially the old US Custom Shop models.

Unfortunately, 90% of the Soundgears sold are not anything like the Prestige models. If they were even in the same ballpark, I wouldn't even be having this conversation.

16. embellisher

Yeah, just because Robbie Merrill, Reginald Arvizu, Gabe Hammersmith, etc hold an Ibanez for an advertisement, doesn't mean that the bass they play is anything like the one at Guitar Center that looks like it.

And just because they pose with a Soundgear(or whatever) on stage doesn't mean that's what they recorded with.

Flea, famous for playing Stingray's live for years, rarely used one in the studio.

17. fIeLdY uSeS wArWiX In ThE sTuDiO, iF tHe RuMoRz 4r3 7r00.

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

The 3000's aren't neckthru, at least the current ones. The only neckthru bass they currently produce is the Doug Wimbish model, which probably isn't a big seller. I don't think they've made a neckthru soundgear for at least 6+ years. Could be wrong, though.

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Its just another sound gear imo. Just a few asthetical differences to make it look special.

It has the same pickups and electronics as the sr885. But it has a padauk/mahogony/padauk body. Which isnt really anything new to soundgears. A few years back they had the same exact body woods in one the SR models. I think it was the Sr1005 but i could be wrong about the model, But I know im not about the woods used.

Ive played the SR3005 with Bartolini pickups in it, and it sounded alot better than I remember it sounding in the past, and IMO you'd probably get a better tone out of that than the k-5

QUOTE]Originally posted by Kurt M.
    I realize Ibanez gets slammed around a bit. I think the people doing the slamming have a basic problem with hard rock.[/QUOTE]

I love hard rock, metal, even some thrash, but I seriously doubt thats why most people here tend to frown upon Ibanez. I know its not the reason I do. Its the tone of them that I find a bit lacking. I know/can say things I dont like about soundgears because Ive owned 3 of them, SR400, SR885, and SR406. Its got nothing to do with a like or dislike for rock.

All those guys you mentioned get great bottom end in the studio, and probably even live, but id bet both my five strings, that they arent the same electronics, pickups, and id even dare to say body woods as the models the average hobbiest has available to them.

20. I picked one up at GC the other day, along with the Hoppus bass, just to see what all the fuss was about. Personally, I'm a Yamaha/ Fender man. The Hoppus had nice sound, but I attribute that to the 1/4 pounders. I wouldn't ever buy one, because I don't like the colors offered.

As for the Fi3lDy K-5, it played better than the other soundgears I've played. It didn't sound as good as the BTB, or the ATK, but that's just my opinion. I never really liked Ibanez in the first place, and the K-5 didn't change my mind any. Although it sounded nice, albeit not my style, I wouldn't shell out the $ they want for it. If they made the exact same bass, without the "Signiture" I would actually consider it, if they came down in price a little. If they made a 4 string version,again, without the "Sig" I would really think about it.

Overall, I'd save my money, or spend it on something else. But then I never really saw the purpose of playing "Signiture" models anyway.