Ibanez K5 (Not a *Flame Fieldy* thread)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Incubus, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Incubus

Mar 28, 2005
    I am thinking of buying an Ibanez K5. I play mostly funk and slap a lot. I heard that it has a very nice slap sound. However, i dont want that clunky fieldy sound. I am looking for a clean Flea/Victor Wootsen/Les Claypool slap sound. I can get over the large "K5" on the fretboard and Fieldy's signature on the head. I was looking for a nice slapping bass for around $800. Has anyone used this bass, and what do you think of the sound. I am not a fan of KoRn but this bass caught my eye. Keep in mind THIS IS NOT ANOTHER *FLAME FIELDY* THREAD.
    Thanks in advance! :hyper:
  2. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I love paduk but I havent gotten to play that one but on paper it sounds what your looking for.To me paduak is like Mahogoany but more focuced. For 800 in the price range you can find a used Stingray or American Jazz bass both probally better for the sound your after.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I hate to hijack, but I thought he played a Warwick...?
  4. long ago he did...but not since the ibanez endorsements came through...
  5. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    You could just as easily get one of the nice soundgear models without the inlay and signature. Something like the SR-505.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  7. Incubus

Mar 28, 2005
    Thanks for everyone's help so far.

I just got back from GC and i can get a Warwick Corvette Standard for $850. The slap sounded extremly nice on it, except it sounded like crap when i fingered it. One of the reasons the slap sounded so nice was that it had those Rotosound Funkmaster extremly light gauge strings. I'm not sure if those strings effected the fingering sound. Two more questions: does the Corvette always sound so bad fingered? If not, should i get the 'vette or the K5?
  8. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I owned the Corvette twice and it sounded great fingerstyle.
  9. Incubus

Mar 28, 2005
    owned it twice meaning you got it and sold it or you have two?

if you got it and sold it, why did you sell it?

also, i hear that the K5 comes with Elixer strings which are supposed to sound nice. Any opinions on that?
  10. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i'm sure you could out some elixirs on the warwick :smug:
  11. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Bought one, then sold it to try out a Cirrus. Decided to get the Corvette again after but sold it when I got a Thumb. Great bass though. Both times I owned it :)
  12. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    I had one for about 2 years and it was a good bass. It will only sound like fieldy if tune down a whole step , lower the action right down and play like you are trying to push the strings through the f-board. Play with the flat of your fingers and like hit the strings instead of picking with the end of your fingers. I got sick of that bass coz it took a long time to get a good sound out of it and it didnt have any mojo! I sold it and bought a guitar :bag:

I still have my stingray though.
  13. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I've owned the K5 before. I played it in an Acid Jazz band, but that was when it first came out. I was lucky to get the "demo" version from the dealer and it was sold to me for about the same price as the top-end SR at that time (this was before the MK-1 + thruneck run).

Good construction, above-average weight. Comfy neck, very impressive B for a Soundgear. Stable neck, good electronics, albeit fiddly. Hardly anybody noticed the fact that it was a Fieldy because of my prep-school dressing and the fact that I wore it quite high. Eventually sold it for a profit and bought my Fortress Flashback V.
  14. Elixir strings sound nice...if you like your strings sounding dead from the packet. And then there's the really weird feel to them.
  15. grrr... no one should ever buy ibanez stuff post 1990... ever... I have to say, a used stingray would be the best option I think, they slap like nothing else (well nothing else for $800 :p )

I know fieldy isn't great... but if you were playing with two guitarists who play 7's in drop A, you'd probably go crazy too... :D
  16. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I'd get an SR900 if I were you. They list for about $1050, but I've never seen them actually sell for more than $750. I've only played one, and it played beautifully. I pick the thing up every time I'm in that store. They definately don't look too bad either.

17. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    +1 on the SR900.

IMO these new neck-thrus are the best basses Ibanez is currently making. Maybe becuause they actually have to pay attention when they are making them. This isn't a bash on bolt-ons. It's just that bolt-ons are so much easier to make cheaply and quickly -- and it shows most of the time.
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, people, stay on topic.:mad:

I have deleted all of the off topic comments about Fieldy as a bass player.
  19. Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Another vote to SR900. I played one at a local shop a few weeks ago before a lesson, and I was amazed with it. It felt perfect to me, but I never even got a chance to play it again. Sold it within 3 days of getting it. I've asked like every bassist I know if they played it, all but one loved it. I'm hoping they get one in stock again soon, but it will still be ages before I have the money (minimum wage rocks). It was right at $800 if I remember correctly, you should give it a shot.
  20. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    But, how about BTB1200 neck-thru basses ?