Ibanez K5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eVersi0n, Dec 30, 2002.

1. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    Well i'm a Guitatist switching to being a Bassist, and i'm in need of saving for a bass, after i sell my other stuff. So i'v been looking around, and posting on (guitar.com) but if you've been there before, you'll know how it is when talking about a band like korn or even a signature bass by "fieldy", So someone pointed out thsi was a better place, and so far it looks that way. But I'v been chickin out the K5 and i dunno, I think i'd be an alright bass, any comments on it, I'm going with an Ibanez product, becuase i'v always enjoyed what the've produced, compared to toehr companies. Thx for the help. (Also i play mostly metal stuff, liek lslipknot,korn,dry kill logic,downthesdun, etc etc type music).
  2. Well, they're not bad, but they're not worth the money or stigma. There are much better basses out there that will suit you, for the same price. Names that spring to mind are Warwick, Spector and ESP for your metal and hard rock needs.

How much you gonna spend? We'll be able to advise you from there.
  3. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    Well i'm not sure how much i plan to spend, I'll jus save, But i dunno roughly anywhere form 400-1000cdn.
  4. 1000 cdn is like $640 US, right? You'll need an amp and a bass. This is officially out of my expertise area, let's get a Canadian in here.
  5. if you like the slim, fast playable necks on ibanezes check out washburn and yamaha. esp basses are geat too. i just got the esp ltd c-304. neck through body, active electronics, and only cost $400.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Ibanez K5 costs more than $1000 CD doesn't it?

If you want a 5 string, I highly recommend that you check out the MTD Kingston. Godin makes some nice stuff in your price range, and so does Fender, Yamaha and Peavey.
  7. I agree. But if you're only going to go for Ibanez (like I was a year before), then try the BTB405. Not sure how much it is in Canadian, but it's only about $600 here. It's not very traditional looking, but it plays very nice. The extra-long neck makes the B-string sound and play very nice.

Still, I would suggest playing different brands, and I highly recommend the Kingston. Recently I've become less and less happy with my BTB...it buzzes a LOT on the higher notes and sometimes just sounds dull and thin past the 12th fret. It may not be a problem with the bass, but with the intonation...I haven't tried to found out yet. But either way, don't keep your options limited.
  8. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    Thanks, I'm still looking around, but from what i'v read at alot of sites on the net the k5 is still one that i will keep in mind and for sure try out when i get there, anymore suggestions would be great, and if someone owns a k5 i'd be nice to hear from them. I'v looked at kingston or whatever, and the apperance of the bass, wasn't what i liked, i know the sound is the most important but still, i might as well get somthing that has the sound and the look i want, since i'll be playing on it. thx
  9. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    A Lakland Skyline 55-01 might be a good bass in your price range. I felt the K5 was one of the better sound gear models, but I never really digged the necks on those things. Should definetly check out some skylines.
  10. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    thanks, i'll check it out
  11. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    anymore comments?
  12. Yeah. FiElDy rOoLz!!

Happy new year!
  13. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Personally, I'd recommend not getting a K5 unless you find a deal on one. Although they do play and look very nice (minus fretboard inlay), in the end you're paying for less of a bass than you could be getting...you're paying for the K5 inlay and the picture of Fieldy it comes with.

If you're insistent on Ibanez, the BTBs cost a tad more than most of them, but they're reaaaallly nice. And the Ergodyne basses are sweet, too...But I'd say play those before you pay, since Ergodynes have a Luthite body, they sound different, and some people don't like the wider necks and longer scale of the BTBs.

..I have an EDB605, and I feel like I got more than my money's worth out of it. Sweet look, sweet neck, and sounds great. A little heavy, though.
  14. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea I second that Lakland 55-01. If you're looking for a 5 string thats an awesome bass. You can't go wrong with Lakland IMO. But if you have your mind set on an ibanez...you should check out the ATK series. They don't show em on the American site though, but you can still find em around.
  15. Hey there I'm a Canadian.

I think it would be unwise for you to get the fieldy bass.

Like others said, you could get a bass like that minus the cheasy (IMO) symbol for less money. I'm pretty sure that bass would come to over 1000 also. A HUGE waste IMO. I suggest getting the BTB400 or 405. My friend got one(400) for 800 canadian (might have been a little less) and he loves it! It's his first bass btw and I think he made a good decision. I'm going for the BTB406QM because I liked the 4 string so much!

Hope this helped!
  16. If you like K5 because of the design and because it is an Ibanez then you should probably go for any thing from the (Ibanez) SR series. I have a SR405 and other than asthetics (color an inlays) it seems to be the same as the K5. However I have never played a K5 so can't tell you how it plays
  17. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Didn't they used to make that bass without the k5 inlay? I think it was the 1305 model. I have seen them used for a reasonable price.
  18. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    The reason why i'v done alot of research into the K5, is becuase when i first started looking for a bass i was determined, it must be wood, some good woods even, have 2 active pickups, active EQ. So i began a search, and came up with the K5 from Ibanez(A company that i have always felt good towards). I'v looked around from other companys and other suggested basses, but i'v found some nice looking ones, but with passive pickups, and i guess i could spend more money by swapping pickups, but then again it'd prolly cost more then what the K5 would cost.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The body on the K5 is made of padauk and mahogany, and I believe that the neck is 5 piece wenge/walnut. Pretty different from an SR405. It has different electronics, too.
  20. Not bad taste for a guy who thinks and plays more like a drummer than a bassist. :D