1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IBANEZ KEEPS BREAKING STRINGS

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 25, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i have an ibanez sr 400 that since day 1 has been breaking its g string (ha. haha..) at least once every 3 months, depending on how often i use it (as little as 2 weeks, recently). i know its not my playing ( i play very light) and its not the saddle (i swapped the d string and g string saddles).

what on eareth is wrong? and is it worth fixing? i plan on buying a new bass very very soon.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If it's breaking at the bridge, it probably is caused by a sharp spot where the string touches the bridge; a sharp little nick in the metal of the bridge. It's easy enough to fix-I use a piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to polish it smooth.

This is a problem more often found on guitars with their skinny strings where the nick in the metal cuts through faster. The fact it's your G string makes me suspect that may be the case.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i wish it were that, but ive changed saddles twice. moved the g one to the d string and the d to the g. then did the same with the new g and the a. and no change. still breaking...

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Okay. Any idea where along its length the string breaks? Or is it a different place each time?