Ibanez Lawsuit EB-3 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rylche, Sep 19, 2006.

1. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    Hi guys,

I have a seller that wants to sell this Ibanez Lawsuit EB-3 Bass, the same model ( though not Gibson) that was used by the highly-revered Jack Bruce of Cream fame. However, I would like you guys to help me scrutinise this bass and help me estimate its current worth. It has a serial number that reads " J770906, MADE IN JAPAN " on the bolt-on plate at the back of the body. It's selling for USD316. There is a small chip in the back of the neck, as you can see from the second picture, and is explained by the seller as " The small chip on the neck was due to change in temp.. it was repaired
    during setup using beeswax. it will last for quite a long time and
    will protect the wood from moisture. "

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    $250 to $350 would be the top bucks I would pay for one. The neck thing doesn't bother me. Keep in mind,the Gibson EB3 sound was aided by the neck through body construction. I doubt if the Ibenez with have that same thump. I recently played the current version "SG" model bass. It doesn't have the veritone selector and only half the thump the basses made in the '60s had.My advice, keep shopping.

GM

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    EB-3 had a set neck, not neck-through-body.
    $316 seems high to me.

4. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    Thanks for the kind replies.

GlennW, how much would you ask for it?

5. Talking from the European perspective, that seems like a decent price.
    There's more and more collectors after the 70's Ibanez Fender and Gibson clones...

6. 316 is not bad at all. Ibanez copies are some of the best copies ever. Ibanez Jazz and Pbass copies were at many times better than Fender's own...

7. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    Is the serial number that of a genuine Ibanez Lawsuit Copy?

Also, thanks for all the replies so far!

8. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    Bump.

9. All I know is that those early MIJ Ibanez instruments were 1st class, all of them.

10. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    Totally awesome. That bass that i was talking about. Went down to the seller's place to try it; I was blown away :) Superb tone and it had all of the EB-3's growl!

Needless to be said, I bought it. I know , i know. Pictures soon! :bag:

11. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Nice score. There's a similar Aria version on ebay right now; last time I looked it was up to 306 and the reserve wasn't met. I played only an EB-3 for about 10 years.

12. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    I pushed the price down to quite a steal at USD265. Pretty pleased with my purchase. Thanks, GlennW.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021