Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez lawsuit p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by contrabassie, Sep 29, 2004.

1. contrabassie

contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    Belgium
    I'm searching for some info about the ibanez lawsuit p-basses. I know these basses are copies of the fenders, but are they good?
    The neck of these basses are laminated. Is that a problem for the sustain of these basses?
    The body is swamp ash. Does that make any difference with the fender bodies? (i suppose fender is not using swamp ash). Do they sound as real precisions?

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Lawsuit basses can be great, is it made in Japan? Is it pre-1983 (I think thats the year?) If so than it was probably made in the same factory as Fender Japan. Swamp ash is an excellent wood for bass bodies.

3. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    It was 1988, not 1983. The factory name is Matsumoko. If it was made there I have no doubt it is a great instrument (every Matsumoko made instrument I've played has been top quality.)

4. contrabassie

contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    Belgium
    I'm told it is a 1978 ibanez that was made in the Matsumoko factory. Does that mean it is as good as the japanese fenders they made in the 80's?

5. contrabassie

contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    Belgium
    Josh, do you have some more info about Matsumoko?

6. I've got a couple of sites saved on my home computer, one is a vintage Ibanez site, the other has the history of the Matsumoko factory. When I get home, I'll post links in this thread for ya.

Bob

7. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Unfortunatly I only know a little. I know that in 1987 the factory was bought by Singer and instrument production stopped (there may have been a few more made as left overs) and the factory caught fire in 1988. I also know that Samick took over a lot of the projects starting in the mid-80s. I have a Univox bass made from there and I love it, I have played a few Fender Japan and a few Matsumoko Ibanezes and they have all been top quality instruments (especially for being mass produced.)

8. Well, shoot. The link I have had alot to do with Aria, and only a little to do with Matsumoko(looks like alot of folks also spell it Matsumoku).

I did find this site dedicated to all things Matsumoko:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...ars/ggboard/index.php+matsumoku&hl=en&start=4

I just found this site and didn't look too closely at it, but a quick glance gave me the impression you'll find out anything you want about "Uncle Mat's" company.

The forums there seem to cover every brand built by them.

Hope it helps.

Bob