1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ibanez lawsuit rickenbacker pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phender6, Aug 14, 2012.

1. phender6

phender6

May 17, 2010
    Detroit, mi
    Has anyone out there with a ibanez rickenbacker replaced the stock pick ups? I just recently bought one but the electronics are funked up and the pickups look pretty chinsy. Would the seymour duncan ric replacement pickups fit correctly or is there any other good pickups for a ric that would be better? Also does anyone know if a rickenbacker replacement pickgaurd would fit with no problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I own one and mine is mint with no issues and I love the stock pickup sounds. Can't comment on the pickguard, but why not just send the beat up one you have to some company to cut you out a custom?

I know bartolini and seymour duncan make replacement pickups. I tried and rehearsed a couple of times with a mid 70s orginal rick 4001 with seymour duncans installed and I didn't hate it but it lost the rick vibe. It sounded more like a hot jazz bass than a rick. It looks to me like the duncans would be perfect drop ins (not my sound though). Alembic also makes some pickups for ricks but kind of expensive and again not the rick vibe.

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I have a set of pickups on order from this guy:

http://classicamplification.net/Pickups/Rick_pickup.htm

He's building/winding them this week so I can't report on them as yet. They're replicas of 60's & 70's pickups. If I like them, my originals will be appearing soon in the classifieds...

4. I don't know if the pickguard screw holes would line up. I used a home made one, traced from my old 4001, and it seemed to fit OK but I'd be hesitant to buy one for it. Had Bartolini Ric replacement pickups in mine, with a Demeter preamp. It was one of the best sounding basses I have ever heard.

I do not understand what the "Ric sound" people ooze over is, so I can't comment on that. My 4001 sounded pretty boring, like most Rics I've heard, until I put the Bartolinis in it, then it sounded pretty good. Not as good as the Ibanez/Demeter bass, but the Demeter probably had something to do with that.

The frighteningly thin body/neck joint area developed massive cracks, which I reinforced. I continued to play the bass until the neck gave out. Shame, because it really did sound awesome, but it didn't seem like it was built to last.

5. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Bartolinis are awesome (I've got them on a couple of my 5 string customs), but they have a certain sound to them that is very distinct. Stock pickups won't sound like the barts, thats what I was referring too. As for the rick sound, the best I can put words to it is some sort of midrange with a touch of treble thats doesn't sound at all harsh but just perfect and with just the right amount of low end, not overwhelming.

6. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I've replaced the pickups on two Ibanez Ric copies. Used the Seymour Duncan's both times. They were direct replacement. Fit perfectly with no need to modify the pickguard.

Sound did improve - but not dramatically. If the stock pickups aren't shot, you may want to keep them. In my experience, the slightly better sound was not worth the $200 for new pickups.

7. phender6

phender6

May 17, 2010
    Detroit, mi
    Alright. I have a good friend that said that he could rewire them and that would help. He also said that he could put in new bobbins in them and rewire them. Which both of those options sound tempting and 100$ cheaper. Im not too concerned about getting that true ric sound i just want it to work. I like how it feels alot. All of the electronics definitely need to be looked thru.

8. phender6

phender6

May 17, 2010
    Detroit, mi
    How much?

9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Prices are listed on the site. My particular pair was $285.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I had a Rick with the SDs and it was not a good sounding bass. Mind you I had 2 others with stock Rick pickups I didn't like the sound of either, but they both sounded better than the SDs. I love SD guitar pickups, but their Rick replacements are kinda bleh.

11. Looks like the OP has found a solution for himself, but just for posterity, regarding the "Bartolini sound" which, like the "Ric sound" I haven't actually noticed:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/considering-bartolini-read-first-858424/

I've had many basses with Bartolinis, and none of them sound the same. Maybe I'm tone deaf or something, I seem to miss a lot of the charactaristic sounds everybody else here agrees on, like the ones mentioned or the Warwick "growl," the "scooped" Mesa 400+ sound, etc.

My personal opinion on the Ric replacement pickups, when put in my Ric with no other changes to the stock electronics, was that the overall character did not change dramatically, but the bass sounded more "alive" and like it had more "guts". Actually another word than "guts" came to mind, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to write it.

I do appreciate your definition of the Ric sound, I don't think I've actually seen it defined in any of the myriad Ric threads. I would say that IME the Ric Barts sounded in that ballpark. But again, I don't hear what everybody else hears.

12. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I know bartolini makes a ton of pickups but the typical bartolini sound present in all the basses I have is that round low smooth sound.

13. Gotcha. Have a similar sound in one of my Bartolini equipped basses.