Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Les Paul bass - what's it called?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ratzpaul, Jan 3, 2005.

1. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    Hi Folks,

a few days ago I got curious about a bass I once learned on. It was the first bass I've ever held in hands and I'm thinking of buying one - just for emotional satisfaction ;)

Unfortunately I don't know the name of it which would REALLY help searching, but I'm sure some of you experts can help me.

It was an shortscale Ibanez and had the shape and look of a Gibson Les Paul. 4 string, 4 potis, black, gold hardware (I think), built sometimes in the 80's I would assume, but I'm not sure of this.

Mhm... I'm afraid that's the all the info I can give you :meh:

So if somebody has a clue which bass I'm looking for PLEASE tell me. A picture of it would also be great!

Thanks guys,
    paul

2. don't believe i've ever seen a LP-bodied ibanez

3. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    uh ya, I forgot important info!!!!

2 humbucker and perhaps a 3-way toggle switch, but I can't remember it clearly enough to be sure about it.

But the 2 HB were there :)

thanks,
    paul

4. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Ibanez did make a guitar version of a Les Paul, so there could be chance they made a bass model.

5. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Just found this Online Museum website for vintage ibanezes (sp)

Any heres a picture, i take it it's an Ibanez.

[​IMG]

Heres a link to the site.

Hope this helps!

6. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    GREAT!!!! :hyper:

Thanks A LOT, Warwick Player! This definitely helps!

OK, now that I have the name of it I hope I can find one for a good price around. Actually I haven't seen even one for all the years since I had the "learners bass" the last time in my hands, so I expect it to be a looong search... :(

However, does anybody of you fellow TBlers have any experience with this bass? Just curious, to shorten the search... I would love to hear some reviews about it.

As far as I remember the bass sounds like..., well, normally you don't want a bass to sound like that - muddy lows, lacking of definition, etc. But, as I said, it's more the emotional factor that feeds my desire. Furthermore they seem to be really rare and I'm GASing for a shortscale for some time now to accompany me on rather frequent trips.

Well, wish me luck!

thx,
    paul

7. Wizard01

Wizard01

Apr 29, 2015
    None
    Hi, I actually have one. Bought it in the mid 70's

8. Wizard01

Wizard01

Apr 29, 2015
    None