Ibanez MiKro bass tuned EADGC

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by harrumphicus, Feb 13, 2017.

1. harrumphicus

harrumphicus

Jan 13, 2017
    I don't know jack about strings, especially short scale and 5 string stuff, and this has both. It's a 5 string 28.6" scale. What strings would I put on it to tune to EADGC in stead of BEADG? I'm guessing I'd have to buy individual strings by gauge, but even that is beyond my grasp.

edit: It seems like it comes with pretty standard 45-130 strings, would the short scale have enough give that tuning up to EADGC would give me relatively normal string tension? -- never mind that last bit, I could tune it up but it would probably sound like mud.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I got a 4 string Ibanez Mikro myself, and short scale strings will fit just fine, as will baritone strings or even some regular guitar strings.

You got a couple of options regarding buying strings for your 5 string Mikro tuned E-C:

1. Probably the simplest and easiest solution: Buy a set of bass strings mend for 6 string short scale basses and discard the low B string.

2. Buy a Bass VI set (strings for Fender Bass VI and similar 6 string bass guitar models tuned E-E), mind that these strings usually are pretty slim though, with the low E string usually having a gauge between 084 and 092 depending on the particular set, and discard the last string.

3. Buy a regular 4 string short scale bass set and a loose single baritone string of fitting gauge for the high C string.

4. Buy 5 short scale bass/baritone loose single strings of fitting gauge.

Preferred gauge of the strings and individual tension balance between them is a matter of personal preferences, so can't advice you on that part.

Look at similar sets to what you had in mind for reference of string gauge difference between the individual strings, if you pick the loose single string option.

Personally I prefer my strings having relatively low tension and therefor use a set with slim string gauge, so I use a 040, 060, 075, 095 set.

Although a lot of people seems to prefer heavier sets than what they normally would use on a regular 34" scale bass, since the tension of strings on a short scale will be a little more floppy compared to a similar gauge on long scales.

105 for the low E string as the 4 string Mikro's comes with as stock is a good bet, or even 110's, but as I said I like the 095 solution, and I personally don't feel the need for more string tension.

For all in the world don't tune a 130 5 string set up to E-C, neither the strings or your bass neck will be happy and the tension will become unnecessarily stiff, bordering to the unplayable.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  3. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    With a correctly set up truss rod the neck wouldn't necessarily have problems with a heavy tension set, in principle. The devil is in the details, so let's break it down by string. The following data are extrapolated from the D'Addario tension chart .pdf file, easily found online, by checking the tensions at standard 34" scale of relevant gauges of nickel-plated and stainless steels strings therein, at the next whole step up from standard tuning (tuning a low B to C# on a standard scale bass and playing an E by pressing the string at the 3rd fret, which happens to be at about 28.5" from the bridge, is the same as having the same string tuned to E on a Mikro).
    The .13, tuned to E on a 28.6" instrument would have about 40 pounds of tension, give or take a couple (about what a .105 on a long-scale bass has); a .1 at A would be around 45 lbs, a .105 almost 50 (not sure what your set is comprised of); a .08 at D would be over 50#, a .085 in the mid or high 50's; a .06 or .065 at G would be anywhere between 55 and 65 pounds; for a .045 at C you'd get a bit less than 55 lbs (if you ask me, the last three strings would be well into uncomfortable territory to my taste).
    In short, if you're still interested in trying a tighter set, you could use that .13 no prob but you may want to look for lighter strings for the rest of the set: if your E is a .105 get a .1 or a .095, and make it a short-scale; a .07/.075, a .055/.05 and a .04 will do, and you shouldn't need shorties for them (in my experience, a .075 does not break at the tuning post even if wound at its full thickness).
    Tone-wise, don't write large-gauge strings off (apples to oranges from the common experience of having a note sound darker if played next string down and up the neck - a number of other factors contribute that): thinner strings might have more deep lows and (if EQed to attenuate the rest) highs, but thicker ones might turn out to be plenty bright and not muddy. One way to find out, if the tighter set solution intrigues you for feel reasons.

Now, if it really doesn't, or not that much, just look for a normal-gauge, short-scale 4-string set, or a single E (and A if you want to be on the safe side and prevent breakage) and long-scale D-G.
    As for the C, get a single, or try a guitar single string of similar gauge (not a bad nor crazy idea for the G as well: thin bass strings don't seem to have anything special that makes them different from guitar strings - a heavier core maybe, but then again maybe not).

Single strings, short-scale and otherwise including Cs, and whole sets can be found here:
    Welcome to Bass Strings Online - A Bass Store for Bass Players!
    There are also replacement sets specific to 5-string Mikros if you change your mind and keep it BEADG.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

Yeah get up with Jason at bass stings online (the link one post up). Tell him you're a member here for a discount on certain items.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Move the strings you have now over one slot. Add a .30 for the C.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021