ibanez mikro epoxy resin fretless conversion

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ThinCrappyTone, Jan 27, 2018.

1. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    I usually never attempt luthiery stuff. Just don’t have the skill, will or patience. But I decided to try this: converting an Ibanez Mikro bass to fretless by remiving frets and doing a tinted epoxy resin pour. I made tons of mistakes, yet somehow it came out not completely horrible. I will probably redo it, but overall I am encouraged and wanted to share.

CD842562-2305-485A-B932-BFE793442AE7.jpeg
    B497DB64-120C-40EB-BED5-48E92C93C985.jpeg

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Looks great man. I love those Mikro basses. I converted one to a baritone 6 string maybe 7 years ago. It was fun.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  3. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  4. That Old Guy

That Old Guy

Apr 12, 2018
    I pulled the frets out of my Squire short scale VM Jaguar. Also my first attempt at any significant luthier work and I'd guess I had similar results. I used CA glue which I applied with a small spreader, like a spatula. It took me forever trying to get a completely smooth surface and I lost count of how many times I coated and sanded! Close inspection shows I'm not a craftsman but it actually sounds great. I've written to a few manufacturers asking why nobody makes a fretless short scale and they all say there's not enough demand. Seems to me if they can offer a choice of rosewood or ebony fingerboards it would be just as easy to offer a fretless option. Jag.jpg Swapped out these round wounds for tape wounds after a day or two. Definitely the way to go, imho.

vid1900 and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  5. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    nicely done! That looks great!

6. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    The Ibanez and the Squire both look beautiful.
    Great job you two!

JRA and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

ThinCrappyTone , i don't know where i was when you originally posted this thread, but that epoxy pour looks fantastic! i may do another pour attempt myself and i'm wondering what you considered to be your "mistakes." thanks for any response!

i also tinted the epoxy --- that worked fine! --- i was off on my leveling, however, and one side and one end was thicker than the other.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  8. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Looks beautiful... And looks better set up (for me) to manage than a long scale fretless...
    How does it play? If you have the same pups innit, does it give ya that nice full fretless sound?
    -Am interested in changing a Mikro over to fretless myself but maybe giving the job to a luthier, so before spending the $$ I'd really like to either hear it, or even a review and opinion of it?
    (I also tried to get me an SX shorty fretless, but they're out of 'em and don't know when they'll be available again.)
    Thanks,
    Greywoulf

9. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    Hey sorry I missed this @JRA

I got some bubbles, and the fingerboard isn’t really radiused anymore :) the leveling of the epoxy made it so it ended up flat... but it still works!

JRA likes this.
  10. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    Hey @Greywoulf , I will try to throw a video together over next few days

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    What brand /type epoxy? Cool.project, the Mikro is a great little bass, like most Ibanez stuff. ​

12. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks! Epoxy is East Coast Resin “Crystal Clear”. Tint is ComposiMold Black Epoxy Pigment

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021